Read Reviews (82) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2001 Volkswagen new Passat

Let me add “a fly into the ointment”.

by dag03060:      May 8, 2002

Pros: Handling. Power. Ride. Craftsmanship. Interior materials. Gauges. Good fuel economy for V6.
Cons: Uncomfortable seats. Not enough space for legs at driver's side. Price is too high.
The Bottom Line: If I had more money, I would have bought something more interesting...

After more than half a year of driving my Passat 2001.5 V6 wagon, I can say that this is very impressive car. However, taking into account all the "pluses" of Passat, let me add "a fly into the ointment", so to speak. Two things disappointed me and spoiled the total positive impression about this car.

First, uncomfortable seats and inability to find a right combination between seat angle, lumbar support and distance to the steering wheel. Maybe, I am "non-standard" somehow but I still cannot adjust the driver's seat comfortably for long trips without having problems with my back or neck. In addition, seats are not soft enough. Passat is not a cheap car and Germans could have designed something user-friendlier.

Second, I have already had pretty much unpleasant trouble connected with a factory defect: the oil cooler pipe collapsed and the cooler ran out entirely. Thanks God, it happened near my house, 2 miles from a local VW dealership so that AAA towed me for free and the dealership fixed it also for free. I can hardly imagine myself what could have happened if I had been driving on a highway that moment...

But first and last, this is very good family car if it is not for the above-mentioned "minuses" and high price.
Condition: New