Read Reviews (8) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 Blazer

Handling And Control:

mountainhigh is an Advisor on Epinions in Home and Garden

Epinions Most Popular Authors - Top 50

View all reviews by mountainhigh

2002 Chevy Blazer 4-Wheel Drive

by mountainhigh:      May 9, 2002 - Updated Jun 25, 2005

Pros: Sporty looking, easy to maneuver, dark tinted privacy windows
Cons: Would prefer metal at very bottom of front bumper instead of hard plastic
The Bottom Line: I am starting to have doubts; my update is at the bottom of the review.

In February of this year we bought our 3rd 2-door 4-wheel drive Chevy Blazer. We still own the 1997 model but sold the 1999 due to it having the rough ride ZR2 suspension. Our 2002 Chevy Blazer has the touring suspension. It is rare to find a 2-door model of the Chevy Blazer and it is my understanding from the local dealers that Chevrolet will be discontinuing the Blazers ending with this model year in hopes of promoting their more expensive Trailblazer instead. I do hope GM continues with the regular Blazer series. General Motors is the only automaker that makes mid-size 2-door SUV's, which are the Blazer and the Jimmy. We prefer the 2-door models over the 4-door models because 1) they are less expensive, 2) they are sportier looking, and 3) our kids are teens and are drivers themselves therefore, a 4-door model is not needed.

Features Ours Has

Automatic transmission with overdrive
Vortec 6 cylinder 4.3 liter 190 hp engine (tune-ups at 100,000 miles)
Instra-trac 4x4 transfer case (pushbuttons on the dashboard)
Air conditioning
Driver and passenger air bag
AM/FM stereo with 6 disc CD player and 6 speakers
19-gallon fuel tank
Front tow recovery hooks (very useful)
Four wheel anti-lock brakes
Touring suspension (softer ride)
Deep tinted glass (really dark on rear sides and hatch for privacy)
LS trim consisting of: tilt steering wheel, cruise control, power windows and door locks
Driver?s seat 6-way power adjuster
Rear defroster and wiper
Luggage carrier
Remote keyless entry with alarm
Overhead console consisting of LED outside temperature display and directional heading
Sliding electric sunroof
Outside spare wheel and tire carrier mounted on rear with cover
Underbody shield package
Wheels 15x7 aluminum cast

Performance

The 2002 Chevy Blazer drives and rides as smooth as a car, except smoother on off-roads. The turning radius is excellent in this vehicle, which makes it very easy to park, back-up and make u-turns. The Blazer climbs up off-road steep terrain with ease as we live on top of a mountain. Equipping the Blazer with studded tires in the winter and using the 4-wheel drive and you can climb up any icy mountain road. The steering is tight and it handles curvy roads easily and does not try to tip over.

The 2002 Chevy Blazer uses regular unleaded fuel and averages about 18 mpg in city driving and about 21 mpg on short highway distances. We have not taken any trips longer than an hour yet to be able to give you a true highway mpg. Using cruise control as much as possible will help you tremendously in obtaining maximum mpg.

Interior

The 2-door models are offered only with cloth seats, which are fine for us since leather seating makes the vehicle more expensive anyway. The pushbuttons for the 4-wheel drive are located on the dashboard. The instrument panel gauges consist of an analog type speedometer, trip odometer, fuel, voltmeter, coolant temperature, oil pressure, and tachometer. There are two 12-volt auxiliary power outlets. The turn signal has a turn-signal-on reminder chime. There are two-cup holders in front of the storage console in between the front seats. In addition to the storage console, there is also the glove compartment. There are lighted mirrors on each sun visor. The gearshift for the automatic transmission is floor mounted. The rear seats on the 2-door model hold 2 passengers in which each seat individually folds down to make for a roomy cargo area. There is a cup holder in the rear passenger area on both sides of the vehicle with a little dipped in area to hold small miscellaneous items. On each side of the rear seats is a storage compartment.

Choices of Blazers Offered

2-door versions:

4-wheel or 2-wheel drive regular Blazers

"Extreme" model which only comes in 2-wheel drive and features the Z87 sport suspension package with lower-body fascia with fog lamps; and lower body cladding with wheel flares

"ZR2" model which is your wide-stance performance package that has larger tires, even sportier looking than the regular Blazer and a rougher ride. (Please read my review on the 1999 Blazer ZR2 by going to my profile page if you are interested in this model.)

4-door versions:

4-wheel or 2-wheel drive choices; seats 5 passengers

Color Exterior Choices

Forest Green Metallic (not available on "Extreme" model)
Onyx Black
Indigo Blue Metallic
Light Pewter Metallic (not available on "Extreme" model)
Victory Red
Dark Cherry Red Metallic
Sandalwood Metallic (not available on "Extreme" model)
Summit White

Color Interior Choices

Beige
Graphite
Medium Gray

Who Probably Would Not Be Happy with the Blazer?

Each of my family members are 5 foot 9 inches and shorter and everyone with the exception of my husband enjoys driving the Blazer. My husband likes it and will drive it on short distances, but driving in any distance over an hour, he prefers his Chevy Tahoe, which is a larger SUV. So, it would be my belief that a taller person that would have to drive a long distance in this vehicle or someone that is use to a larger SUV might not find it as comfortable my teenagers and myself.

Final Impression

Our family really loves our Blazer for its sporty looks, its dark tinted private windows, its easy maneuverability and roomy cargo area. The Blazer has a nifty feature on the rear hatch window whereas you can push the button in to release the hatch. We own 4 sport utility vehicles (since we have to have 4-wheel drive where we live) and the Blazers are the favorite with our teenagers.

Be sure to check out my other SUV reviews by clicking on "More Reviews by Mountainhigh" which will take you to my profile page where you will find a scroll down menu bar titled "My SUV Reviews".

Update

Right before the 3 year old mark but just a bit over the 36,000 miles on the warranty, the 4-wheel drive went out on this. Shortly afterward, the CD player went dead for the 2nd time. I am becoming less and less of a devoted Chevrolet fan now especially comparing with how much we have spent on repairs on the 97 Blazer and now the 2002 is following in its footsteps.

Spending $129 for the dealer to diagnose the problem to fix both the 4-wheel drive (it is the motor) and the CD player will cost $919 + tax. In contacting GM of my dissatisfaction and informing them they were about to lose a customer who has bought 6 new Chevy vehicles within 10 years, they are going to pay 50 percent of the repair.

In comparing the our 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, the Pathfinder has never seen the service shop and its at 38,000 miles. This might be telling us that quality labor and parts are used in the Pathfinder versus the Blazers.

Time will tell and I will keep this updated.

Condition: New