Read Reviews (41) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 TRAILBLAZER

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by daveandmonica

2002 Trailblazer LTZ blows its head gasket!

by daveandmonica:      Feb 10, 2007

Product Rating: 3.0 Recommended: No

Pros: engine runs like a sewing machine, powerful and quiet
Cons: seats are falling apart, mirrors never return to their programmed positions
The Bottom Line: All the GM vehicles that I have ever owned have had significant problems. 1984 Grandprix, 1986 Trans Am, 2002 Trailblazer LTZ, 2002 Chevy Malibu LS.

In January 2002 we bought our first Chevrolet. It is a Trailblazer LTZ. It is the most expensive car that we have ever purchased. It had a couple of minor issues that were corrected under the warranty. It was a wonderful car to drive right up the point where the service department told me that it needed a new head gasket because cylinder combustion gasses were leaking in to the cooling system. To replace the head gasket Suburban Auto Group said that it cost 2,477.32 dollars! It cost me 83 dollars for the service department to tell me that it would cost 2,477.32 dollars to fix the car!

We only drove this car for 33,663 miles. So 3,621 miles and 5 months after the warranty expires the engine blows its head gasket! I believe that Chevrolet engineers have perfected and implemented “designed obsolescence.” What incredible timing! I have owned Fords, Pontiacs, and Mitsubishi cars.

I called the “Customer Assistance Center” and talked to a “Jennifer”. I was greeted with what I perceived as a “lukewarm” reception. When I explained to her what had happened to my Trailblazer she retort, “Well, what do you want Chevrolet to do about it?” I was shocked by this response. I did not feel much like a customer as much as I felt like an “annoyance” to the Customer Assistance Center.

The Trailblazer LTZ blew its head gasket because the cylinder head was flawed when it was manufactured. They showed me and I have a 5 megapixel picture of it. The dealership got the area rep. involved and I did not have to pay anything for the repair. It was an additional $1,000 for a new cylinder head. I appreciate what the dealership did for us, but the Chevrolet "Customer [no] service" people were just awful.

Due to problems with the Trailblazer and my 2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS I will never again buy a GM product.

Amount Paid (US$): 33,000