Read Reviews (45) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 PT cruiser

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by braytonak

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Touring Edition

by braytonak:      Sep 5, 2002

Pros: Styling, Versatility and Price. A big Bang for your Buck.
Cons: Turning radius is quite wide.
The Bottom Line: I could easily recommend a PT to someone who wanted a stylish car, with ample power and was actually usable.

I bought my PT on May 3rd, 2002. It was more of an impulse buy than anything. (I had found another oil leak in my old car and decided that I wasn't going to deal with it, and became the happy owner of a PT about five hours after finding an oil leak while washing my old car.)

I noticed the PT first by its cute styling. From the outside, it looks too small to be practical. You'll think again when you see the inside and drive it. The interior is expansive, and items are placed right where I would expect them.

I love Chrysler's switch to white-faced guages. They're much more readable. The "High Beam" indicator does not blind you more than the oncoming headlights, as was the case with my old car. The climate control function knob is variable, unlike most current cars. There are at least three detents between each setting. (ie, Vent, Floor, Defrost.) This provides great airflow flexibility. (If only the fan-speed knob were the same...)

The Premium stereo and speakers lack in treble response, but have surprising bass response. The entire dash is illuminated in an Indiglo color at night, which is attractive. The Trip Computer stays active in the odometer display, even after turning off the car. This makes it nice to always have an eye on your distance since the last re-fueling stop. Heat is hot, but living in Alaska, I only had a short time this summer to try the A/C, which did a good job while I used it.

Storage space is not only plentiful, but in surprising locations. Such as in an under-seat drawer. (Front passenger seat.) The interior so far is void of rattles and squeeks. The rear seats are easy to fold down or roll up. I have not removed them, yet. The included cargo net and adjustable rear shelf that doubles as a utility table.

The engine is fairly quiet for a 4-Cylinder. Compared to my last car, this thing can fly! It has exactly how much power that I like. Enough to get around in traffic and pass on highways, but not so much that I feel like I'm needlessly burning more dinosaurs. The engine bay is logically laid out, except for the spark plugs. (The intake manifold actually wraps around the top of the engine, blocking them.)

The car makes you enthusiastic about driving. Once you start buying add-on accessories for it, you can't stop! Chrysler, as well as aftermarket vendors, offer plenty. Some tasteful, some not. Some functional, some not. Chrysler did not put hydraulic lifts on the hood, which I added. I added a Chrysler cabin air filter, re-usable engine air filter, rear bumper step-pad, rubberized rear cargo tray and a few other items. It's an easy car to personalize.
Amount Paid (US$): 20,100.00
Condition: New
Model Year: 2002
Model and Options: Touring - Automatic - No Cruise - Chrome Rims - Heated Power Mirrors
Handling And Control: