Read Reviews (17) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 Dodge Durango

Handling And Control:

Love my Dodge

by daugusti:      Oct 2, 2004

Pros: Everything (especially the leather captains chairs)
Cons: Tape player, difficult second row levers, secured storage
The Bottom Line: Get one. As a used car it will be reliable. Alot will probably be hitting the market, since the three year lease is almost up.

My Husband and I were looking for a medium-sized SUV with a third row seat, and at the time our only options were Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango. The Ford Dealers weren't budging very much on their price, so we decided to go to Huffines Lewisville. We took an add in showing $5,000 off MSRP and the honored it. Plus we got the 0% financing (these days dealers won't give you both...you basically pay a fee to get 0% financing...back then you actually paid TT&L and the price of the car divided by 36).

From the second we drove it off the lot, we fell in love. I have not EVER been in a car that has more comfortable leather captains chairs. The foldable third row seat is awesome (great for people to sit in and lots of storage when they aren't). I am shocked (knock on wood) that we have not had one repair on that vehicle in almost three years (of course, the second the warranty is up, something will break, but we are keeping our fingers crossed).

We've really only ever owned foreign vehicles because everyone always said they had better repair records. Well, that was the case for my Mistubishi Eclipse, but with my Honda Passport and Nissan Maxima...WRONG!

The Honda had a Check Engine light that I constantly had to take to the Dealer to get it fixed. I love wasting my time, how about you. Every time I filled up with gas it came on after I used about a 1/4 of the tank. After about my third trip in, they slipped and said it's a known defect in Accords and Passports. It has to do with the gas cap. Hated that car (not to mention it was the worst driving SUV I've ever been in, and the cloth seats looked terrible after three years). Luckily it was on a smart buy, so we got rid of it.

With the 2000 Maxima (which I still own), we have had to regrind the brakes twice already. They have a thudding sounds that happen when you have to start to break from higher speeds. Luckily it is a cheap repair, or we would have gotten rid of the car. Not to mention how quickly that car goes through tires. It's on it's third set.

My Dodge is still on it's first, and my mechanic says they have another 15,000 miles on them. Way to go Dodge, thanks for picking tires that last.

I can't say enough good things. We just love everything about it. The ride is smooth, the pick up is powerful, the back seat is easy to fold up and down. Lots of storage space (we pack a ton in their on driving vacations...need to mention that this vehicle is great for those).

All in all a great vehicle, but I will be honest, there are always glitches. See my cons list below. I won't put them as part of my actual review because they don't at all affect my feelings on my favorite vehicle I have EVER owned.

CONS: No tape player (but tape storage?) The second row seats can be difficult to raise (the lever is hard to pull up if you are weak like me). I'm thinking about oiling it to see if it helps. Wish it had more secured storage. It's just a cavernous hole. I bought a great storage system at Bed Bath and Beyond, but wish it came with something.
Amount Paid (US$): 27,000