Read Reviews (17) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 Dodge Durango

Handling And Control:

View all reviews by bigcheeze

It's better than a sharp stick in the eye (maybe)

by bigcheeze:      Mar 20, 2006

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Comfortable, powerful engine, turns sharp, rides well.
Cons: Not reliable, needs constant expensive service.
The Bottom Line: I would avoid one of these unless you like to spend money on repairs. I'm VERY disappointed.

We purchased this vehicle new in late 02. It was doing OK for the first 2 yrs, however it's engine noise is a little loud on the inside. It's very comfortable, even for long drives. Has plenty of power, even when full of people and kids going up big hills.

The problem started right around the end of the normal warranty, luckily we have an extended warranty, but that's not saving us from a lot of cost still. I have a 2000 GMC 1500 Sierra that has almost twice the miles on it, and has been used more more "roughly". It has required minimum maintenance, and very very little service other than 2 minor recalls.

However the Durango has had several major recalls, each one of them we have had to wait on parts for too. Basically the manual says to replace every fluid in it ever 15,000 miles and tune it up. The tune ups cost several times more than a normal SUV because it's almost impossible to get the back spark plug out. Which, why Dodge doesn't use platinum plugs is beyond me?

Now at 42,000 miles we are having lot's of problems with it starting, the rear differential needed service, and it just seems to be going down hill fast.

Mean while my GMC rolls on like a tank. Needing only minimum maintenance, and no major services. Want to guess what my next SUV will be?
Condition: New