Read Reviews (21) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 S2000

Handling And Control:

A great toy

by nima14m:      Oct 27, 2004 - Updated Oct 27, 2004

Pros: speed, handling, looks, value, engine
Cons: size, storage
The Bottom Line: This car is not a family car and its not for everyone but its the most fun thing you will ever drive.

Ok, I won't even mention the specs on this car, b/c Im too tired of reading them in the other review.
I have known about this car since July of 99 and finally sat in one when it hit the dealerships in Sept of 99. Being in college at the time, I couldn't afford anything so it was more of a dream than anything. I will have to be honest and tell you that I have been a Porsche fan for 12 years now and saw a S2000 as a cheap imitation of a Boxster and thought "god, who would pay $32,000 for a honda?"
Fast-forward 4 years and now I had some money and was in a situation to purchase a sports car and started looking at a few. I knew I couldn't afford anything new and I knew I didn't want an american car.

My choices were, Porsche Boxster (97-00), BMW coupe 328is, 323is, 328ci, 328ci, M3, Acura 3.2CL type S, Mercedes 230SLK and Honda S2000.
I drove most of these cars and the Boxster and the BMW felt the best. The boxster wasn't that fast but the fact that it was a porsche made me like it more. Then I got to drive a 2001 S2000 at carmax. The test drive didn't impress me that much, mainly b/c I was riding with one of the salesmen and didn't get a chance to put the car in V-tech, but I could tell the handling was better than the rest of them. My main concern was the size of the cabin in the S2000, it felt small and Closter phobic.

So last month I finally decided to purchase a car and went with the S2000. Several reasons for this:

1. I can afford a porsche or a BMW but I probably couldn't afford the maintenance and up keeping.
2. The same money that gets me a 99 porsche or BMW, can get me a 2002 honda that is still under factory warranty.
3. Insurance is less on a honda.

So with these factors known, I bought a Yellow 2002 S2000 with 28K miles for $22,200 (still under warranty for the next six months or 8K miles).
I couled have saved a few thousand $$ and bought a 00 or 01 but I wanted the glass back window as well as the tweeters in the door and also the factory warranty.

After I bought the car I finally got to experience the V-tech and it is awsome. It feels like a turbo that kicks in at 6000RPM and goes all the way to 8900 ( I haven't gone past 7500 yet)
If you shift at 4000RPM, the car is fun and drives like a little celica or eclips, fun but not scary, but when it kicks into V-tech the sound of the engine changes and it feels like your driving a indy car. Alot of magazines and reviews say "you have to treat this car like you hate it for it to go fast", I don't find this to be true. This car was made to be be pushed and it feels normal after you do it about 3 or 4 times. You watch the RPM line and say to yourself ok 4k, 5k, here comes the V'tech 6K weehhhehhhhhehhe.

As far as the cabin being small, it took about two days for me to get used to it and now it just feels snug, everything is within my reach and I feel like im in a cockpit. With the top down, the car feels alot roomier. The trunk is big enough for a golf bag or few bags for a weekend trip for two.
The handling in this car is amazing, it feels like its stuck on the road. I've been taking turns at about 35mph and not even realizing it.

I also forgot to mention that I have a company truck so this is only my evening and weekend toy. I don't know if I could live with it if it was my only car since its small and not the easiest to get in and out of but its great for a second car.

There are alot of choices out there now, RX8, 350Z, Z4, MR2, S2000. The best way is to test drive all and figure out which one is the best for you and which one you can live with.

last note: remember if you test drive the S2000 and don't go past 6000 RPM, you didn't really get the true test drive.

Amount Paid (US$): 22,200