Read Reviews (45) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 Maxima

Great Car, but it could be better.

by johnl617:      Apr 27, 2004

Pros: 3.5L 255hps, HID Headlights, 17" Rims, roomy interior.
Cons: Really stiff suspension. My old 94 Camry was way more comfortable.
The Bottom Line: Why isnt it a 5 star car? Maxima could have done better with ride quality. read on for full detailed review. LONG!

OK, where do I start... I've looked into this car for 4 years before I bought my SE 2003 Maxima.

Body
This is a great transition from 4th generation look to 5th generation look. It might look a lot more boxy, but the aggressive front of the car is just awesome. The rear is a bit weird, but it does grow on you and I love it.

Exterior Features
The stock 17" rims were great. The tires on the other hand were horrible. Really bad I must say. Even at its prime, the tires can stand no chance against Snow. The front headlights is great since it comes with HID Xenon Lights. Looks almost like a BMW... almost... Becareful of theft though, you definately have to get the datadots done at the dealership.

Interior Features
Overall, I love the interior. It is very roomy. Lots of leg room for a 5'11" person. The rear can comfortably fit three 180lb guys with no problem. I had the stock interior with the 120watt speaker system (non-bose) and I found it pretty decent. At night the interior lights up titanium colored which is a plus.

Ride
One word - FAST. I love the speed on this car. it is so powerful. You dont have to worry about those hills anymore. What I wanted the Maxima to improve on for 2004-2005 would be ride comfort. Its really stiff, so you will feel every single bump on the road. I guess thats the cost of getting the sports edition, but thats not a very big problem if you can tolerate a few bumps. the turning radius of the car was disappointing to me, but it is a pretty huge car with 17" rims.. so I cant really complain. My car is a gas guzzler at 21.1mpg highway and city driving.

Gadgets
I love the automatic tiptronic like gearbox. Looks really nice and sporty. The in dash temperature gauge/trip monitor is great. If I had a garage I would definitely take advantage of the remote garage openner. The auto dimming mirrors are great for those people who love to high beam you.

Overall
Great car for the buck. This was a 2003 SE maxima which is basically the 2002 SE Maxima. If i had to choose, I would get the Infiniti G35, but thats almost $5000-$10000 more. the Rims, HIDS, and rear tail lights caught my attention. 3.5Litre 255hp is also a plus plus.

Condition: New