Read Reviews (31) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Handling And Control:

Poor Truck, Poorer Customer Service

by cavenagh:      Nov 29, 2003 - Updated Nov 29, 2003

Product Rating: 1.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Looks.
Cons: Everything else - cons vastly outweigh pros.
The Bottom Line: If you want reliability and customer service, keep looking. You will get neither in this car or from this company.

I have had a completely negative ownership experience with Nissan. I own a 2002 Xterra, purchased new. In the approximately 18 months and 26,950 miles I have owned the vehicle, I have had the following problems:

My ECM has been reprogrammed twice;
My ABS seals failed and required replacement pursuant to recall;
My power steering gearbox has failed, leaks and needs to be replaced at whatever point the dealer can obtain the part;
My driver’s side rear shock has failed, leaks and needs to be replaced at whatever point the dealer can obtain the part;
My “check engine” light has illuminated twice (in addition to the points at which my ECM was reprogrammed) and needed to be turned-off;
My stereo speakers whine with engine interference, and remain unrepaired;
My dashboard buzzes constantly and cannot be repaired; and,
My front brakes have been overhauled – this repair was not warranted and cost $300.00.

The vehicle has been in for service 9 times, for a total of 10 days (and counting, given all that remains unrepaired). I have never been offered a loaner or any other assistance. I have had four dealers work on the vehicle; each was worse than the last. I have written to Nissan asking for help and learned that because Nissan has no authority relative to dealers, there is nothing Nissan can do except call them and ask them to address the issues. I can’t even get Nissan to do this. Buy from a company that cares about its products and delivers something reliable; clearly Nissan cares to do neither.

Amount Paid (US$): 26,000
Condition: New
Model Year: 2002
Model and Options: SE (Highest Level Model)
Recommended: No