Read Reviews (12) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

Ease of Conversion:

Excessive Mechanical & electrical problems

by ddansb01:      Sep 4, 2005

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Gas mileage, room, power sliding door, flip over 3rd row seats.
Cons: mechanical problems, mechanical problems, electrical problems.
The Bottom Line: I do not recommend this vehicle unless your are very tolerant of unexpected failures.

I bought my Montana new in 2002. It went back to the dealer for several small repairs during the first 10,000 miles that were covered under warranty. A nuisance, but no big deal since the warranty covered.

It then ran good for the next 50,000 miles up to an odometer reading of about 60,000. I did all the oil changes, mostly at Pontiac Dealers, and drove the car gently. Most mileage has been in Texas, Tennessee, and in between the two. It has not been wrecked and still has the original equipment tires on it at 62,000 miles.

The intake manifold gasket is not original, A $900 estimated replacement at the Pontiac dealer. Leaking oil at under 60,000 miles is not what I expect of a quality automobile. From what I have heard from mechanics, this is not an unusual problem on the GM minivans. GM is not covering any of this repair cost. Apparently they think early oil leaks are normal maintenance.

I have had 3 brake light failures. The sockets make poor contact with the bulb bases. The bulb base melts and the light fails. There is no alert to tell the driver a brake light has failed. This is also said to be a common defect on GM vehicles.

And now I have bad front wheel bearing at 62,000 miles. I have been driving a long time and have not had to replace wheel bearings since the 1960's. The wheel bearing is now part of a larger assembly and the part is $300.

I won't buy another GM anything, even with employee discount pricing and $1500 in GM credit card points.
Condition: New