Read Reviews (14) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2002 Volkswagen GTI

View all reviews by integrale

The New 24V VR6 GTI

by integrale:      Aug 6, 2002

Pros: Excellent acceleration. SMOOTH engine. Very solid feel. Fun car you want to drive it ALOT!
Cons: Possible shoddy dealer service. Minor reliability issues. Paint soft and swirles up easily.
The Bottom Line: Best value for performance out there..full stop! Is quick enough to embarrass much more expensive cars. Is a perfect mix of comfort and performance...and this is a freaking hatchback!

I've had two other GTI's before this one...an 87 GTI and a 98 VR6 GTI. This new engine with the 6 speed transmission is wonderful.

I bought the car not because it's very quick..but rather because it's so relaxed. Far more so than the 1.8T version.

There are 6 cylinder cars out there that have more HP and even weigh less...but somehow this car is quicker, feels unique, and is incredibly fun to drive. You want to drive it...you want to go for cruise in it.

I'm still breaking the car in and I can feel the transmission and engine are still abit tight. But boy this engine is a gem...just as special and capable in it's own right as Nissan's Maxima engine or Honda's S2000 engine. It has more character than both those cars.

It's got a solidity to it that neither of those cars possess.

I doubt I'll modify my car but I'm sure it has potential if done right and some money is spent.

Overall, great car.