Read Reviews (32) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 CTS-V SEDAN

View all reviews by mrcatbert

The Caddy I thought I'd never own

by mrcatbert:      Aug 24, 2004

Pros: A great near-luxury package from an American car company.
Cons: I'm not crazy about the marginal power from the 3.2 motor in my 2003.
The Bottom Line: Very good all-around performance, craftsmanship and luxury in an American sedan that I can afford - what's not to like?

I'm an anti Caddy kind of guy. I've been a car nut all my life, and among the 39 cars I've owned there has been nothing remotely similar to a Caddy. I like crisp performance, true high tech, good handling, and manageable size - all these eliminated the Caddy's of the past.

When shopping for a reasonable size sedan for commutes and the occasional trip, I drove the Infinity G35, Jag X, Acura, Lexus 3000 and Lincoln L. I had settled on the Infinity despite it's 90's Japanese styling, but stopped at a Caddy dealership on a lark.

After test driving the CTS for a few minutes, my wife and I agreed that this was the right car. It was solid, without a squeak, it looked good in dark metallic blue, the engine was no screamer, but showed sign of "new car tight," and I thought it would come around.

After two years and 24 thousand miles, I'm thrilled. It has been back to the dealer once - for a recall that ended up being nothing. It gets over 21 mpg on my commute. It's comfortable on trips. The chrome 17" wheels and spoiler are a nice touch, and it gets lots of positive comments from folks I've never met. Wow - I like a Cadillac - whoodathunk
Amount Paid (US$): 36,000