Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Chevrolet Impala

Best car I have ever owned

by chevy05:      Sep 7, 2003

Pros: Good family car. Economical & nice ride. Good fuel mileage.
Cons: Spongy suspension, but the basic sedan is not a sports car.
The Bottom Line: Very nice family car. Take a look at it and spec it out the way you really want it.

I have owned a lot of cars dating back to a 69 Pontiac Catalina, and this is the best car I have owned to date. Replaced a 99 Malibu and what an improvement. Took this car on a 2600 plus mile trip across the Plains and through the Rocky Mountains at 12,000 feet plus elevations and this car was great. This included some very winding and steep hills. On our final day, we drove 866 miles straight with only a couple of quick rest stops. This was not all interstate driving either. Large share was two lane winding 55 mph driving. We could do this because the car is so comfortable to drive and ride in. Other cars that I have had in the past rode so rough that you never would want to attempt that many miles.
My Impala is a standard sedan, not an LS, but I equipped it with the Aluminum Wheels, 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes & Traction Control, and my favorite option, bucket seats with the floor console instead of the old style transmission shift lever on the steering column. This option provides a much better positioned and larger arm rest position than the standard 60/40 bench seat Fuel mileage is 33 mpg with the standard 3.4L V6 and this engine is quite adequate in acceleration. Transmission is smooth shifting. This Impala forfeits handling in the corners for a soft ride. The Impala SS should be the opposite. The Impala share the same frame as the Monte Carlo, but when I tested a Monte, my 6 ft 2 in height was very uncomfortable as my head was touching the ceiling. My 99 Malibu was a better handling car, but it was much nosier and the 3.1L only gave me 28 mpg. I spent a week in a new Ford Taurus and that car rode nice and good acceleration, but the handling was even spongier and cumbersome than the Impala. To be fair to the foreign competition, I have never been in a Honda or a Toyota as there are no dealers nearby.