Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

View all reviews by quietman49

2003 Chevrolet Impala Steering Squeaking

by quietman49:      Aug 19, 2006

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: The service people are as frustrated as I am about the problem not being fixed.
Cons: No response from dealer to my email.
The Bottom Line: I will sell this car once they fix the squeaking steering problem and buy a Toyota.

I have taken my car to the dealer to fix the squeak in the steering for 16 months. It started in June 2005 when I had a little over 16,000 miles. They have had the car 7 times ranging from 3-8 days. They replaced the rack & pinion twice within one month. I was told that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced (the second time) because the first one was bad. They replaced the steering shaft boot twice within two weeks,(they replaced it the first time with the same boot which was bent at the top about 70 degrees and had a hole rubbed in it from turning the steering wheel. This is a plastic boot!). The second time they replaced the boot with a new boot. I now have almost 28,000 miles on the car and have no confidence that the problem is fixed. Twice when turning to my right, the steering has become very hard to turn (perhaps the boot had gotten twisted or was binding) which makes this unsafe to drive. I have emailed the Senior Service Consultant and the General Manager of the dealer (the G.M. just two days ago) and have not had a response from either one.
Amount Paid (US$): 21,771.00