Read Reviews (24) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Chevrolet Impala

Best car I ever owned by far!!!

by moby09:      Sep 27, 2006

Pros: Looks, gas mileage, power, handling. Not too many amenities, just the right ones! AWESOME CAR!
Cons: I wish the 'Sport Appearance Package' was more widely available, otherwise NONE!
The Bottom Line: I wish Chevy hadn't redesigned the new Impalas, I would love to have one of these for the rest of my life! I LOVE it!

Describing 2003 Chevy Impala LS 4 door 3.8L V-6

I currently have 56,000 miles on my Impala, and have put about 12,000 on myself. I've had it about a year now. I've never EVER regretted purchasing this car!

I'm averaging about 29 MPG now that I bought new tires, (see my review of BFGoodrich Traction T/A T tires here at epinions), whereas before with the ever-balding Goodyear Eagle GA stock tires I got about 30-31. A small sacrifice to upgrade from the poor stock tires to the best tires I've ever owned for the price. All in all, that's still excellent mileage for such a powerful car. You just can't go wrong with GM's 3800 engine. Can't go wrong at all.

I absolutely love how this car handles. You could steer with your pinky. The wheel is so sensitive thanks to the sport-tuned suspension, as they call it. This car corners like Nascar. Yet, it's practical and comfy inside like a family-sedan should be. So if you're like me, caught somewhere in between wanting a sports car yet needing a family car for the kids, the Impala LS is for you. Has very high (exact specs?) crash-test ratings to boot.

The seats are comfy, and with the added luxury of heated seats, the leather is still bearable to sit on in the winter.
The side mirrors are EXCELLENT, as soon as you sit down in the cockpit you feel like you have an advantage over everyone else on the road. The mirrors give you that confidence you need, and the large windshield adds to the effect. If you have the rear spoiler (or fin as some call it) on your trunk, it takes a very small portion of your rear visibility, very small. Some reviews I've read state that it's distracting and that it takes getting used to. I disagree. No more getting used to than a State Park decal or oil change decal on your windshield. You just look around it and everything's fine, end of story!

Another couple of dashboard features I happen to prefer is the good old fashioned pull-knob for the lights. Chevy has reverted to the classic low-tech system for turning on your lights, and adjusting the dimmer for dashboard lights at night. KUDOS! It seems every other car out there needs a training course to work simple things like these. Chevy knows you don't need that. They understand you. Also too, I like the fact that the vent controls are the old(er)-fashioned turn-knob. None of this electronic 'mode' button to switch from vent to floor to defrost and back, where you have to look for the little lit-up picture to know where on earth your air will blow out. Just turn the knob to the one you want and presto! No more hassles. Again, kudos Chevy!

The trunk is huge, I've fit a weedwhacker in mine before, with length to spare. My wife doesn't know that though!
The brakes are 4-wheel discs, which is great news if you're a do-it-yourselfer like me. Disc brakes the easiest thing on the planet to replace, next to the wheel itself.

Considering all these amenities and user-friendly features, you can still stand back and stare at the Impala LS and feel like you really got a looker here. I still look at mine from time to time and think 'Wow, this is a hot car!' And it really is, the Impala looks like no other. Well, up to 2005. The newer ones lack that one-of-a-kind look. The newer ones look like everything else out there, Hondas, Toyotas, Kias...but that's another story.

If you're considering an Impala, you're a smart fella. I highly recommend this car. I can't speak for the base sedan with the 3.1L engine...they seem a little more plain. Almost like the granny version. Which is fine depending on your personal preferences. But for the LS, you've got a great car here Chevy!

Amount Paid (US$): 15000.00 +/-