Read Reviews (22) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Sonata

More Than Adequate

by mmendenh:      Dec 6, 2004 - Updated Dec 7, 2004

Pros: Comfortable, nice styling, quiet
Cons: none really
The Bottom Line: I recommend the car because of its reliability, quiet ride and creature comforts - all at a good price.

I write this review about my 2003 V6 Hyundai Sonata after owning it for about a year and a half and putting about 13,000 miles on it.

I can report that I have had zero problems with the car. Other than routine maintenance, nothing has gone wrong with the engine, brakes, electrical system, or anything else. Upon first getting the car, I found a defect in the plastic behind the steering wheel which they promptly fixed via the warranty.

The ride is smooth, enough pick up for rush hour freeway entrances and passing, and as quiet as you are going to find in this price range. I rented a 2003 Dodge Stratus while out of town and found it lacking in comparison. I also was given a loaner VW Jetta while my other car (a Golf) was in the shop. Though the Jetta was pleasant enough, it also was not as comfortable or as quiet as the Sonata is.

The styling is unique on the exterior, though I wish they would have blended the 2001 model rear with the 2002 and later models' front end.

Don't be afraid of the Sonata. It is as good as a Camry or Accord and better than the others in the class.

A response to my opinion indicates that I ought to include some more information, and so I shall.

The A/C (and I live in Phoenix where A/C is used more months than it isn't) is great; the sound system, not an upgrade, is also better than I have had in my former cars (including Mazda, Ford, Subaru, and VW). The trunk is roomy enough to carry several suitcases and there is a split fold down backseat. You can easily make some trips to Home Depot and use the Sonata to carry home your goodies.
Amount Paid (US$): 16,500
Condition: New
Model Year: 2003
Model and Options: Hyundai Sonata V6 (not GLS)