Read Reviews (22) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Sonata

Sonata leads the way with fun and style

by jadczak:      Jan 13, 2003 - Updated Jan 15, 2003

Pros: Compares nicely with other high-end luxury cars at a very affordable price.
Cons: It's South Korean roots.
The Bottom Line: One of the best cars out there for people who want all the bells and whistles without the cost.

After attending the 2002 Auto Show in Detroit, I changed my mind about Hyundai. I was able to sit inside many different models of cars from domestics to imports and luxury models. I was disappointed at the lack of style on many instrument panels. So many of them were very similar and rather boring. The Sonata was a pleasant surprise. I was amazed that this car had many of the same features that the higher priced luxury models possessed. Coming from a family that only buys domestic vehicles prompted me do a lot of research to find the flaws in this car, and I waited a whole year before purchasing. The 2003 Sonata is even better than last year's model. The first thing you notice is the wrap-around chrome trim on the exterior as well as the beautifully styled headlights. The interior is just as exciting. The wood trim is classy and rivals many of the higher priced vehicles. The driver's seat has lumbar support for those long drives. The rearview mirror can be dimmed at night and both vanity mirrors light up. The interior lights were easy to control and accessible. The standard equipment on this car seems endless from the 6 speaker stereo with CD and Cassette to the power windows and locks, rear defrost with timer, cruise control, front and side airbags, air conditioning, and remote keyless entry. One of the best features was the extra valet key that only works the doors and ignition while the glovebox and trunk can stay secured. Our model also had the power moonroof which is something that makes even my teenagers jealous. The seats were roomy and comfortable even in the back which, as an extra bonus, also fold down to extend the trunk. As impressed as I was with the many features of this car, it was just as fun to drive. The independent suspension gave it a smooth ride, and the V6 gave it more than enough power. My husband really enjoys the optional manual shifting mode that comes with the automatic transmission. Since purchasing this vehicle, I have experienced many people asking me about the car and they just can't believe what I paid for it. If you have an affinity against foreign-made autos, then this car may not be for you; but If you can put away preconceived ideas, and are coming off a mini van like this middle-aged mom, you will have more fun with this car than you could have ever believed possible. We just attended the 2003 Auto Show and we are more convinced than ever that this was the right choice. I'm sure you will feel the same once you test drive the new 2003 Sonata GLS.
Amount Paid (US$): 17,900