Read Reviews (42) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 LIBERTY SPORT 4X2

Not all Liberty 4WD's are created equal

by ICTMax:      Mar 20, 2005

Pros: Responsive power, Cool looks, Excellent off-road capability.
Cons: Cheap cloth seats. Position of window buttons inconvenient.
The Bottom Line: The liberty is a rugged off-roader and a comfortable daily use SUV. If you are buying a 4-wheel drive, then go for the full time 4WD system.

My 4-wheel drive Liberty Sport now has 28k miles on it. I bought it used in December of 2004.
I drive this vehicle every day and about half of the mileage I've put on has been highway miles.
I have no real complaints! It has the 3.7 liter V6 engine which gives it great get-up-and-go power. My gas mileage has been in the 17-21 range using premium gasolines. The vehicle is roomy for it's over all size. But my cloth seats are starting to show some wear. I have a feeling they will need some attention before too long.
When I was looking for a Liberty, I thought all their 4-wheel drives were the same, boy was I wrong. Mine came with what they call a part time 4WD. The part time system is useless for highway and dry road use. It is meant to be used off road. So I keep it in 2-wheel drive all the time; Word to the wise, when you are shopping for one of these, make sure you get the full-time 4WD, the price difference is not that much.
Now for those "quirks" that some design engineers think are "cool":
What's up with the loud turn signals?
The position of the automatic windows buttons between the front seats; difficult to get used to, especially if you drive more than one vehicle (fumbling to roll down the window at the toll-booth)
Push a button on the remote and the back window opens out! To close it, you have to push down on the glass leaving your finger prints on it.
Condition: Used