Read Reviews (6) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Fun car to rent

by darmc96:      Jan 10, 2003

Pros: Fun car to drive, nice drop top
Cons: Sporty only in looks
The Bottom Line: Not a bad car, but not a great car either. Lacks sporty feel.

I have taken two trips to the Florida area and rented and Eclipse Spyder each time. The first time we got the base 4cy model. It wasn't a bad little car to rent, but the 4cyl lacked any power. The auto-stick sport type transmission didn't shift all that well and didn't really make the car feel anymore sporty. The car lacked any feel of the road in its steering and overall handling. The second time we got the GT V6 model and I was excited. However, in the end, I was a little dissapointed. The V6 in automatic had more kick, but was still slower than most modern day family cars. The suspension was stiffer but still was vague as was the steering. My general driving impression was that I really like my '97 Ford Probe GT much better than the Eclipse. My observation is that they really tried to make this a refined car and the end result was that it lost its sportiness. In the end, as a renter it was great and the top dropped to expose us to the beautiful Florida sun at the touch of a button. I did notice that on both the Base and GT that we rented that some of the fittings for the top had already begun to come apart, even though the base had only 6k on it and the GT only 3k. These fitting did not look like they were coming apart from renters mis-treating the car either.
Amount Paid (US$): 49/day