Read Reviews (45) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Saturn VUE

View all reviews by ottawascott

why oh why did I sell my Honda

by ottawascott:      Jan 20, 2004

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Ample room, price was right.
Cons: Poor quality parts, cheap interior components
The Bottom Line: I would not recommend this vehicle. Buy a used import.

Against my better judgement I sold my Honda and bought a new GM product, the 2003 VUE (4 cyl FWD). Having owned the vehicle now for 18 months and 34,000 km I now have my eyes on a Toyota coming off a lease in 2005. First the positives, because there are some. I am 6'5 tall and have plenty of room in the driver's and passenger seat. It is the ample room that initially attracted me to this vehicle. The polymer panels are a nice feature as is the cargo space and the vehicle has more than adequate engine power. The problem with the vehicle has been the plethora of mechanical problems, problems that prevent me from giving a mediocre to positive review of this vehicle. Against my better judgement I purchased this vehicle equipped with the new Vti transmission. In addition to incurring a 5 month delay in taking receipt of the vehicle, the transmission was replaced at 10,000km due to an unexplained shudder at low speeds. Since then I have had the windshield wiper nozzle fixed twice, the water pump replaced, a new timing chain kit, a gas gauge that wouldn't work, floor vents stop working, and now a steering column that sounds like a cow moo'ing when turn the wheel (not to mention the symphony of clicks and squeeks from the dashboard). Despite the new tranny there is still a shudder at exactly 70 km per hour. The dealership has taken good care of me, the warranty has meant that costs are covered however there is the annoyance of having to take it back to the dealership again, and again. Saturn has done a masterful job of marketing their vehicles as something special. In reality, while the dealers might do gimmicky things like have balloons and an applause for you when you pick the vehicle up (and they wash it after servicing), in reality, the workmanship in the product pales in comparison to the Toyotas and Hondas I have owned.
Recommended: No