Read Reviews (45) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2003 Saturn VUE

View all reviews by michpadams

still love my saturn but........

by michpadams:      May 11, 2003

Pros: good fuel economy, fairly priced, quiet comfortable ride
Cons: too much hard plastic, rattles after 7000 miles
The Bottom Line: some drawbacks but still an excellent vehicle for the price

We bought our saturn vue in January and have been quite happy with it. We were on a budget and ended up chosing the 4 cyl with manual transmission. We did this also because it got better fuel economy than the 6cyl and you get more control/power with manual transmission. We also paid extra for the traction control/ ABS brakes, CD player and Neoprene seat covers for the front seats. I love my car. It is an SUV that rides on a car platform so it is more comfy than most SUV's and isn't jarring like the truck platform is. The steering takes some getting used to becuase you don't "feel" the road as easily as you do in many vehicles but once I got used to this it wasn't a problem at all. This is due to the electronic assisted steering. The fuel economy is fairly good (up to 32 mpg)and all the controls are placed well. The seats in the front are comfy especially for bigger people. the side arm rests go back up with you don't want them down. The rear seat, at first, seemed really too low for me but it fits 3 adults with ease and there is still plenty of leg room. I also liked that the back of the rear seats have anchors for car seats. I love how the rear seats fold completely flat and the front passenger seat folds flat too. We are able to haul just about anything in this car. They styling of this car is really nice. I love the lines and body style

Ok so on to the things I don't like. I really think Saturn was cheap on materials when building this car (but then again that is reflected in the price). The seats are made out of a cheap cloth fabric (we paid extra for neoprene seat covers which was worth the money and we are having custom neoprene seat covers made for the back seat). The fabric stains easily and doesn't appear to hold up real well. The door panel molding is all hard plastic as is the dash. I thought saturn could have gone a bit further and used vinyl but they didn't. I have also been surprised that after only 6000 my car has rattles in it...especially on the drivers side door.

That said I still recommend my car. I feel that many of the issues I complained about were done to save the consumer money and to be honest it is hard to find a decent vehicle for under $20,000.
Amount Paid (US$): 19,000