Read Reviews (2) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

2004 S4 Sedan

View all reviews by barkingcar

Like Crack!!!

by barkingcar:      Apr 21, 2009

Product Rating: 2.0 Recommended: No

Pros: Stealth, looks like any other A4. Seats are great. Reasonably prced used.
Cons: Exspen$ive to keep running.
The Bottom Line: Only buy an Audi if you NEED AWD, have money to burn and have a dependable backup. Don't even test drive! like crack you will be hooked.

I bought my 2004 Audi S4 for $28K with less than 12K miles on it from an Audi dealer.  I thought that was a pretty fair deal for an almost new car.  I was / am very happy with the performance of the car, look and interior.  Pretty much the same suff that everyone raves about.  What I didnt consider with the car is it's continual appette for expensive service and repair!!!  Now that I have had it for 18 months and put 16K mles on it I can attest to it's extreem cost of ownership.  But I still keep it because it is like crack, you know it isn't wise, cheep or healthy for your savings but it is addictive and I am hooked.  Besides where else can I get a AWD 4 door that handels decent (I didnt say excellent), has a manual and has good power?  Besides it has lost more value than a stock fund.  If BMW had an M5X or M3X or Mercedes a C55AMG 4 matic with a manual I would ditch the money pit S4 in a second!  It is a known fact that these cars have issues with their cooling systems and my car is no exception, 2 months out of warranty. $1400 water pump replacement (because 2 radiators, the bumper and a cross member need to be removed to get to it).  Lower radiators are a weak point too, the car has 4 radiators to supply adequate cooling in a low profile.  Tires will not last either but what do you expect on a sporty car.  I have owned a few BMWs (535i, 540is and M5) and a few Mercedes (190E, ML430, E500 and SL500) and now that I live in snow country thought I would try an Audi.  The fit and finish of the interior is superior to all of them but I wish they would have spent a little more time refiningthe mechanicals for quality and reliability because this is my daily driver and I dont care how beautiful it is when I shell out $3K to bail it out of service again!
Condition: Used