Billy Blanks - Tae Bo: Fat Blasting Cardio (VHS, 2005)

A challenging Billy Blanks workout using resistance bands

Jun 8, 2005 (Updated Jul 13, 2005)

Pros:High calorie burn, challenging

Cons:Resistance bands do not come with the DVD

The Bottom Line: A challenging yet effective workout especially for those with Billy Bands.

I really dread doing a Billy Blanks workout because they’re always so hard and this one isn’t any easier. This is an intermediate level workout, maybe even advanced with the resistance bands added. This is a challenging cardio workout and calories will be burned.

Equipment Needed
What I didn’t realize when I ordered this workout was that Billy Blank resistance bands are needed to do this workout if you want to experience this workout as presented. They can be purchased on his website (www.billyblanks.com) under the store tab for $14.95. The resistance bands consist of two bands which loop around the shoe and reaches up to the hands so that the user is free to move around the room. The workout is already challenging. The bands would likely boost this up to an advanced workout.

The Setting
The workout takes place in the Billy Blanks studio with red carpet and Tae Bo posters on the wall. There are both males and females demonstrating the workout and they are dressed in either green or blue

The sound quality is ok in this workout but I have to focus to hear Billy speak because there is so much going on. The crowd behind him continues to call out the counts, music is playing in the background, and Billy requests that the users call out the counts because it helps you know how you’re doing. If you can't talk you're working too hard and need to walk in place until you catch your breath.

The workout
This is 44 to 45 minute workout. It begins with a 5 minute traditional warm up involving bending over and stretching the legs out. If you do your own warm up you’ll want to concentrate on the rear and legs as they will be used a great deal throughout the workout.

We move to a 7 minute session of punching and jumping to increase the heart rate. This is a cardio workout and this particular portion elevated my temperature enough to begin sweating which is unusual so soon in a workout.

Next was the 18 minute segment that incorporates the bands. Everyone in the workout is using the bands except for one individual which we were instructed to follow if we weren’t using bands but the camera never focused on him.

This was followed by a 9 or 10 minutes of cardio. There were some shoulder twists to work the abs as well as some other step kick patterns. The bands were picked up for another 3 minute session for some kick backs. The workout ended with a 1 minute cool down.

My experience
The routine goes through a move then they call out “cardio” which means to take it double time. I haven’t had much difficulty keeping up with other Billy workouts but I found myself very frustrated that I couldn’t keep up in this workout. There were many roundhouses in cardio speed and I just couldn’t kick them out fast enough, at least not with correct form.

I (thankfully) did not have the resistance bands so did not have to use them. I feel safe in saying I wouldn’t have made it though this workout with the bands on. The workout was still challenging and effective without the bands. There were many times that I felt like I was above my target heart rate.

Was I missing something? I didn’t see anywhere on the cover or the online descriptions where this workout even used the resistance bands. I would not have chosen this workout for myself if I had known. However if I did know and purchased the bands I would have purchased the 2 DVD set because it’s only a few more dollars. I don’t even know if the other workout uses the bands or not.

Who would like this workout
Like many other of Billy Blank’s videos, this workout is designed for individuals who already know how to correctly perform the moves. This is a very fast-paced workout which could cause injury if done incorrectly.

I did this workout without the resistance bands and I don’t think I would recommend it to someone who was not going to get the bands.

Having seen and done the workout, I will not be buying the bands or repeating this workout without the bands because it was too hard for me. If you know Tae Bo and love it and want to purchase the resistance bands than this workout would be worth considering. (The Billy Bands do come with the $40 BootCamp workout set which I haven’t seen.)

How did the instructor do?
Billy did an excellent job instructing in this workout. He is full of energy and generates enthusiasm in the others working out with him and speaks directly to the viewers. He motivates the user periodically throughout the workout and acts like he’s singling you out which is fun. He points out what people might be doing wrong and adds a little more encouragement and motivation than other instructors do. This workout does require more motivation to keep up.

Purchasing information
This DVD, Fat Blasting Cardio, can be purchased by itself or can also be found as a set matched with a DVD that is called Total Body Fat Blaster. The resistance bands, also called Billy Bands, are sold separately.

Overall
This is one of those 45 minute workouts that will require a shower when you're done. The workout can be done without the resistance bands but I think would be most effective with them. If you have the bands and are looking to burn some quick calories this has got to be the way to go.

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced - Dvd

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced - Dvd

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced ITEM IS BRAND NEW AND FACTORY SEALED!! This is the ultimate total body workout! Billy spec...

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Power
Billy Blanks - Tae Bo 2-pack - Strength & Power / Foundation & Energy (dvd)

Billy Blanks - Tae Bo 2-pack - Strength & Power / Foundation & Energy (dvd)

The revolutionary TAE BO workout began when athlete and trainer Billy Blanks started combining dance music with Tae Kwon Do exercise. The resulting TA...

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced (dvd, 2012)

Billy Blanks: Tae Bo Advanced (dvd, 2012)

Anchor Bay BILLY BLANKS: TAE BO CLASSIC

Anchor Bay BILLY BLANKS: TAE BO CLASSIC

Format: DVD. Release Date: 8/7/2012
Quill.com

BILLY BLANKS:TAE BO EXPRESS

BILLY BLANKS:TAE BO EXPRESS

Billy Blanks presents eight 10-minute Tae Bo workouts.
Billy Blanks Tae Bo Capture Power 2 Pk Strength Power Foundation Energy Dvd