Blackbeard's Ghost (DVD, 2002) Reviews

Blackbeard's Ghost (DVD, 2002)

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

Blackbear's Ghost

Apr 9, 2007

Pros:Funny, clean, good story

Cons:bad graphics, some humor might not appeal to adults

The Bottom Line: I recommend this for families: it's a good kids movie with enough to keep most adults entertained. No swearing and a clean plot.

As a kid this was one of my favorite movies. I used to watch it over and over again, until my little brother and I could almost quote the whole movie word for word. It was very upsetting the day our old VCR ate the tape; it wasn't until years later that I found it on DVD in a little video shop in the local mall. While I wasn't quite as thrilled with it as I was all those years ago, I still think it is a great movie.

"Blackbeard's Ghost" is the story of a pirate, Edward "Blackbeard" Teach (played by the great Sir Peter Ustinov), on whom a curse is placed, forcing his soul to remain in Limbo, trapped between this world and the next. His only hope for release is to find in himself a drop of human goodness, a feat not easily accomplished because nobody can see or hear him. He finally gets his chance with the arrival of Steve Walker (Dean Jones), the new track coach for the pathetic Godolphin College track team.

On his first night in town Coach Walker purchases a bed warmer at an auction to save Blackbeard's Inn, the boarding house run by the descendants of Blackbeard's crew. The bed warmer is an antique which used to belong to none other than Aldetha Teach, Blackbeard's ninth wife and the witch who put the curse on him. That night Walker breaks the handle, and inside finds a scroll with some of Aldetha's writings. By a strange twist of fate, he invokes a spell that will enable him to see Blackbeard's rum soaked ghost.

My favorite part of the movie occurs shortly after Coach Walker summons Blackbeard's Ghost. Convinced that he is hallucinating and that he needs to get away from anything to do with pirates, he leaves to find another inn. On the way Blackbeard appears in the back seat of his car. After a brief conversation the drunken Blackbeard decides it's his turn to drive. After crashing through several lawns and a few fences, Walker is pulled over; Blackbeard, upset after the policeman smashes his bottle of rum, steals his gun, his motorcycle, his pencil, and grabs his ticket pad and starts ripping them off and tossing them everywhere. The bewildered cop, who can't see or hear Blackbeard, eventually arrests Walker on several charges.

The story is full of humorous twists and turns, as Blackbeard saves the inn, turns the tide of a big track meet, drags the reluctant Coach Walker into a gambling scandal, and gets him arrested for drunk driving. Some of the humor is geared more toward kids, but it is still enjoyable for older viewers as well. If you want to see a show with great graphics, this is not it, but I think that the acting, the story, and the humor more than make up for the lack of thrilling screenplay. This is an excellent family movie, appropriate for children and adults of all ages.

Peter Ustinov stars in this late 1960s Disney film as the dread pirate Blackbeard, risen from the dead by his ancestor, a college track coach, who hop...

DVD, G, 106 minutes, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Peter Ustinov stars in this late 1960s Disney film as the dread pirate Blackbeard risen from the dead by his ancestor a college track coach who hopes ...
Family Video