Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones, some great headphones for music

Apr 9, 2012 (Updated Apr 10, 2012)

Pros:great comfort, sound quality, sleek style

Cons:my husband wants to buy more Bowers & Wilkins products now an they are expensive!

The Bottom Line: These are an excellent set of noise isolating headphones.

For my husband's birthday this year he received a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones. He travels on planes a lot and was glad to get some new headphones.

The sound quality is great. It's a little on the bassy side. Other reviews we've seen have said that's it's not bassy enough, but we believe it's just about perfect, very accurate. These are not bass heavy like the "Beats" by Dr. Dre. A lot of it has to do with how they fit. You have to adjust them and ensure you have a tight seal, and then the bass response improves. Also, slightly adjusting the memory foam in the earcups to ensure that it is not blocking the driver increased response.

These aren't noise canceling headphones, but rather noise isolating. You can still hear things going on around you, just rather muffled, while whatever you are listening too is crisp and clear.

They are extremely comfortable. The fit is really good, they sit really well on your ears. My husband wore them for multiple hours on a plane and they never started to hurt.

Not everyone will like the look, the ear covers are sort of big, but they don't stick out too much and the design is stylish. They don't look cheap, but rather high quality (which they are).

The microphone quality is pretty good, but it doesn't eliminate background noise extremely well. Compared to another set of headphones, Shure SE102, it wasn't quite as good.

There are a few negatives. One is that the headphone cable could be longer. It is about 4 feet long, but six inches more length would be good. It's fine for listening to your iPod or other MP3 player, but if you're using them with your computer it's a little too short.

Another negative is the sheep's leather, which is on almost all surfaces that can contact the skin, including the headband and the ear cups. It can make you overly cautious about ruining them. It's soft leather and it makes you more concerned about scratching or hurting it.

The remote control is a standard iphone / ipod remote. The remote controls volume, play / pause and also has an integrated mic. It would have been nice to have more options on the remote control like the ability to change tracks.

The headphones came with a standard audio cable, an audio cable with a microphone and a remote and an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter. It all came packaged in a nice storage quilted velvety pouch with a magnet closer for using when traveling.

Overall these are great headphones. My husband was very happy to get them and were they not quite so expensive I would definitely use a second pair for myself.