Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry 2 Pounds Resealable Bag [Misc.] Reviews

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry 2 Pounds Resealable Bag [Misc.]

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry ~ Dangerously Delicious

Jul 18, 2012

Pros:Sweet-tart, rich and smooth dark chocolate

Cons:It's candy, and not made with whole berries.  (But it's AWESOME candy!)

The Bottom Line: Delighfrully different dark chocolate candy with a tart, sold fruit juice center.  Not too sweet, yet rich and smooth.

This was an impulse buy as I was going to the grocery checkout; I love dark chocolate, and blueberries, and I’m intrigued with Acai.  I couldn’t resist.

~ Product Description

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai Blueberry, from the picture on the bag, made me think this was going to be chocolate covered blueberries or acai berries, because that’s kind of the way it looks from the picture; little round chocolates about the size of a blueberry.

Well, even after biting into one I wasn’t exactly sure what it was, but reading the bag I discovered these apparently are like compressed fruit juice balls covered in dark chocolate.  Taken from the bag, “The perfect pairing of Brookside’s sweetened real fruit juice pieces dipped in luscious dark chocolate.”  Brookside says this is a natural source of flavanol antioxidants.

The round chocolates inside the bag are indeed about the size of blueberries, and, also like natural blueberries, are not uniform in size, but some smaller and some larger, about what you’d expect in size from a pint of blueberries.

I bought the smaller 7 oz. bag, which is conveniently resealable with a zip-lock closure.  I paid $3.99 for this sized bag.  The 2-lb. bag runs about $13-$14.  The bag has a wide bottom so that it will easily sit upright.

~ Ingredients and Nutritional Information

A ¼ cup serving contains the following:

Calories – 180
Total Fat – 7g
Cholesterol – Less than 5mg
Sodium – 50mg
Total Carbohydrate – 29g
Sugars – 25g
Protein – 1g

Ingredients:  Dark chocolate (sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, butter fat, alkalized cocoa powder, soya lecithin, salt, natural flavor), fruit juice from concentrate (filtered water, acai juice concentrate, blueberry juice concentrate, raspberry juice concentrate, cranberry juice concentrate, pomegranate juice concentrate, elderberry juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate), cane sugar, corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), pectin, citric acid, malic acid, natural flavor, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), canola oil, confectioner's glaze.  Allergy Information: Contains milk and soy. May contain wheat, peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, and macadamia nuts.

~ My Experience

I really was expecting these to be chocolate covered blueberries and/or acai berries, but rather, they are juice pieces covered in dark chocolate.  Even though I was surprised, I wasn’t disappointed, because these are AWESOME!  I guess my only disappointment was in thinking this would be a healthier candy if it were made from real berries, but the taste and texture is so delicious I don’t care.

The chocolate is rich, smooth, and dark, and when you bite into one it almost does have a texture like a berry somehow.  Sort of.  Anyway, they are just slightly chewy, but not stick-in-your-teeth chewy.  These are the size you’ll want to just pop one (or two) whole in your mouth.

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry are not overly sweet, but have a tartness from the juice.  The juice piece inside isn’t runny, but solid.  In fact, it’s nearly the same texture as the outside chocolate coating, but it does give a berry-tartness that complements the chocolate perfectly.

Setting these in a pretty glass bowl or other serving dish, they look fairly ordinary, like some normal chocolate candy, but the taste, texture, and flavor is definitely extraordinary and attention-worthy.  Guest will love these.   Be warned, however – they’re highly addicting!

~ Final Thoughts

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry candies are solid juice pieces covered in rich dark chocolate.  They are not super sweet, but have a delightful tartness that goes perfectly with the dark chocolate.   Nice for a chocolate craving, snack, or guests.

Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry 2lb bag. Brookside chocolates have discovered a range of exotic fruits from around the world to create th...
The Candy City
Brooksyde Dark Chocolate Acai Blueberry 2LB Bag Sealed All Chocolates Are Temperature Sensitive. Seller Not Responsible For Melted Chocolate Soft frui...

Our Store About Us View All Listings Feedback Policies Contact Us Bookmark Us View Our Deals Brookside Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry 2 Pounds Res...