Brother HL-2270DW Workgroup Laser Printer Reviews

Free Shipping PCNation
Free Shipping Newegg.com
Free Shipping Newegg.com

One mean green Brother printer

Jan 28, 2011 (Updated Jan 28, 2011)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Duplex printing, saves energy, small foot print, wireless, low cost

Cons:Brother is spoiling me, and I am demanding something smaller.

The Bottom Line: If you need a home printer to share that's eco-friendly, and low price, this is it.

Why can't company make products like Brother?  This is my second Brother printer.  Once again, Brother did not disappoint.

I live in a small apt in NYC, space is always at a premium.  I need something with small footprint.  HP has one model with a smaller footprint, but that is with the paper tray fold up (model 1102) and NO duplex printing.  I decided on HL2270DW because of the duplex (print on both side of the paper)capability, wireless connectivity, small foot print and cost.

Overall (Grade A) : Price ($75 before tax as of 12/2010) vs compactness vs print quality vs wireless function vs duplex, I can't find another printer currently on the market that's comparable.

Print Quality (Grade B) : It's laser B&W.  Laser printer has matured, so the output is what I expected.  So why B grade?  Because every laser printer out there pretty much print with similar quality.   Unless the printer made something extraordinaire, I don't think I'll give A grade here for a laser printer.

Installation (Grade B+) : For network installation, you must be wired regardless if you plan to set up the printer with a network cable or wirelessly.  My biggest problem is I enabled MAC filtering on my network.  For those who filter their network with MAC address, there's no simple way to determine the printer's wirless MAC address easily.  I had to check my router log to determine the MAC address.  Once that information was obtained, driver installation on Windows XP, MAC OSX, Win7 was quite simple.  Just read the instruction carefully.  If you change your mind about installation, you need to  uninstall/reinstall driver.  Some part of installation may require trial and error.  It took me 15 minutes to figure out a few wireless secruity steps.

Speed (Grade A) : As my old Brother Multi-function printer, it warms up quickly and print out quickly.  15 seconds from warm up to print out.  I have a 25 page document from work that it spit out in less than 2 minutes printed one both side of the paper.

Cost (Grade A+) : I bought it at Staples.  Staples had it on sale for $100 (Dec 18, 2010).  I applied a $25 off coupon for $75 + tax.  Free delivery.  Don't think you can find a duplex printer for less than $150.

Maintenance /Support (Grade A) : Don't need any support yet.  When I visited Brother site, I can always obtain drivers, brochure info.  There are many third party that sell the printer cartridge for less than $30.  This makes the printer even more attractive.  The printer also saves energy by going into sleep mode.  Wake up from sleep is fast.  In addition, there's toner saving mode when you print.

Other thoughts: This printer is a "green" printer.  Not much clutter in the packaging.  One install CD with driver and manuals on it, one printer, one power cord that that's pretty much it.  I do wish the printer can be turn on with a wake on lan command (or turn off).  Duplex works well which would save you paper.   The printer prints duplex by printing on one page first, you'll see the paper come out to the output then get pull back in to print on second side.  My old Brother was purchased in early 2005 and still going strong.  I expect this printer to have similar durability.  The printer is a bit noisy, but since I hide it inside a cabinet shelf, I could barely hear it (shows you the compactness of this printer).

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

Compact, monochrome laser printer features flexible networking with built-in wireless 802.11b/g and Ethernet network interfaces and an automatic duple...
PCNation

Cartridges Compatible TN420, TN450 Display No Dimensions 14.5 x 14.2 x 7.2 Weight 15.4 lbs. Black Print Quality 2400 x 600 dpi Time To First Page (sec...
Newegg.com
Newegg.com
Color: Black/dark grey Features: Prints up to 27ppm Built-in wireless and Ethernet network interfaces Automatic duplex printing for two-sided document...
Product Details Prints up to 27ppm Built-in wireless and Ethernet network interfaces Automatic duplex printing for two-sided documents Adjustable, 250...
Print to your heart’s content with the Brother HL-2270DW. The integrated wireless 802.11b/g interface of this Brother laser printer has a one-touch ...
BROTHER HL2270DW LASER, PRINTER/WIFI/DUPPart Number: HL2270DWBrand New and Sold with a 90 Day Warranty
BROTHER BRTHL2270DW Brother Hl2270Dw Laser - Printer-Wifi-Dup