Brown Sugar (VHS, 2003, Premiere Series)

"When Harry Met Sally" and shake up a course of hip hop

Jul 17, 2012

Pros:You'll enjoy seeing many characters before they were widely famous

Cons:Not much story as it just asks if main character can just be friends

The Bottom Line: I want to recommend it because the actors are so great and geniune in every role they have played, so I recommend watching it but not buying it.

Brown Sugar came and went quickly in theaters without many people talking about it.  The storyline was very light, but the fact that the characters were from a prominent hip-hop culture makes this new to the eyes.
     Yes, there really isn't a strict storyline until our two characters make a decision that involves all characters and it causes the story to be slow.  This could be why the movie pulls out many cool tricks to fill in the time.
     You get many pluses of rap artists from the 80s giving quick side notes, characters that work immensely in the recording industry and 90s artist Queen Latifah to fill in the missing blocks of story.
     Don't want to give away much of what little story there is, but our main character has been secretly in love with her best guy friend even all the way into adulthood.  I guess this is the big plot that as they go on with their lives with girlfriends and boyfriends, she has been trying to find a way to hide it while maintaining their friendship.
     In real life this is a big deal.  We all had this at some point or extreme in our lives.  Do we tell our best guy/girl friend that we want to be with them and lose them forever if they think you are just a best friend.
     Been there done that on either side.  So painful.  "When Harry Met Sally" posed this same question before it had been explored to that extent in a movie.  But making the characters of a different culture brings the question some relevance once again.
     This is a very lightly plotted movie except the cameos and music until that great big scene that comes way late into the movie then we have to hide this big secret.
     If you are a fan of Taye Diggs and Sanaa? Lathan then you'll enjoy watching the story slowly unfold.
     After I bought the DVD I wasn't too happy that I spent money on it.  This is really just good enough for a television episode.  But many movies set within the black culture take many risk in the wrong ways in their characterizations and I wish they would start getting more on track to be able to compete with big movies in the story department.
      There was "Waiting To Exhale", all of Tyler Perry movies, Set it Off, that finally reached number one even though the cast were all of African descent.  Anyway, take it as it is, a soft movie with a steaming cast of great actors.

One Fine Day (vhs, 1997, Premiere Series) New/sealed

One Fine Day (vhs, 1997, Premiere Series) New/sealed

George Clooney plays a rakish, irresponsible, and sexy single dad and Michelle Pfeiffer is a neurotic, standoffish, and sexy single mom in this likeab...

Original Brown Sugar Bear

Original Brown Sugar Bear

Sugar Bears The Original Brown Sugar Bear Brown sugar is known to get hard, people have tried different methods throughout the years to solve this pro...
The Longest Day 1962 (vhs, 1998, Premiere Series) Great Wwii Movie (brand-new)

The Longest Day 1962 (vhs, 1998, Premiere Series) Great Wwii Movie (brand-new)

An all-star cast enlists for this epic recreation of the Allied invasion of Normandy. Academy Award Nominations: 5, including Best Picture. Academy Aw...

Premiere Wild Strawberry Sugar Bowl & Lid, Fine China Dinnerware - Potterskraft,Brown Bands,Strawberries

Premiere - Premiere Wild Strawberry Sugar Bowl & Lid - Potterskraft,Brown Bands,Strawberries
Replacements, Ltd.

Daniel Boone: Premiere Episode Vhs

Daniel Boone: Premiere Episode Vhs

Includes the premiere episode, Ken-Tuck-E, of one of the most popular family adventure series ever on television.

Vhs Speed Video Tape Movie 1996 20th Century Premiere Series Sealed

Vhs Speed Video Tape Movie 1996 20th Century Premiere Series Sealed

SPEED: A mad bomber (Dennis Hopper) is out for revenge against LAPD rookie cop Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves), who, with the help of his partner, Harry Te...

Large Brown Sugar Teddy Bear

Large Brown Sugar Teddy Bear

18 BROWN SUGAR. Soft & Cuddly stuffed brown bear with plaid ribbon details. Also available in beige colors.
theBIGzoo

One Fine Day (vhs, 1997, Premiere Series) George Clooney, Michelle Pfeiffer

One Fine Day (vhs, 1997, Premiere Series) George Clooney, Michelle Pfeiffer

Sugar Bears - Original Brown Sugar Bear

Sugar Bears - Original Brown Sugar Bear

LuckyVitamin.com

Medium Brown Sugar Teddy Bear

Medium Brown Sugar Teddy Bear

12 BROWN SUGAR. Soft & Cuddly stuffed brown bear with plaid ribbon details. Also available in beige colors.
theBIGzoo