Canon CanoScan LiDE110 Flatbed Scanner Reviews

Canon CanoScan LiDE110 Flatbed Scanner

Canon LiDE 110 Flatbed Scanner - Scanning on a budget

Mar 23, 2012

Pros:Easy installation, ease of operation

Cons:none to speak of

The Bottom Line: The Canon LiDE 110 Flatbed Scanner is a good quality low end photo scanner and as long as keep that in mind you will be happy

The Canon LiDE 110 Flatbed Scanner is definitely considered an entry level scanner. After have used one of these scanners at work and also setup numerous of them, I have decided to write a review and share my opinion with my readers.

As many of you have no doubt found out that when you upgraded your computer to Windows 7 or got a new computer running Windows 7 you discovered that your old scanner would not work with it. This is mainly because the majority of the manufacturers did not create drivers for these legacy scanners to work with Windows 7. This is exactly what I discovered last month after replacing several older computers.

Since I am not a heavy scanner user I do not claim to know a lot of the nuances of flatbed scanners, but I will do my best to discuss the capabilities of this device. By the time you get to end of this review I hope that you have gotten enough information on it to make an informed decision on whether or not it is for you or not.

Canon LiDE 110 Flatbed Scanner

This is considered a low end consumer level flatbed scanner according to CanonUSA's website and that is pretty much what I discovered after pulling it out of the box. It is very compact as compared to other flatbed scanners I have used and seen. It does not not come with many of bells and whistles that you will find on higher end models.

One of the things I liked about this scanner is that Canon did not waste a lot of material in packaging when it comes to this compact little scanner. The box came with a carry handle making it easy to get it home from the store. After pulling out contents of the box which included the scanner a CD containing the drive and scanning software and a short USB cable. In case you missed it, I did not mentioned anything about a power cord or adapter. That is because it gets all of its necessary power from the USB cable attached to your computer.

Installation

Since there is only one cable to hook up there was not much time or confusing setting it up like scanners of the past. Please be sure to heed the warning about unlocking the slide lock that holds the scanning bar in place before you plug in the USB cable to your computer. As with any hardware installation you want to follow the step-by-step instructions, this includes waiting to plug in the scanner until the software tells you to.

All of the needed software is included on the CD that came in the box, this includes the driver and scanning tools to operate the scanner if you don't plan to use a specific graphics program like Photoshop to import your images into your computer.

What is the scanning like?

Once I had the scanner installed and ready to go, it was time to test it out. Launching the software was simple with icon placed on the desktop during installation. You have many options when it comes to using the software including totally automatic and manual. The automatic option is pretty much as it says, you place your document on the scanning glass under the top cover and hit scan. The scanning bar moves across the page and begins scanning, in a short period of time it completes the scan and the image appears on your screen.

Along with scanning tools you have some very basic editing tools that allow you to alter the image before you save it. When it is time to save the images you can select what file type, file name and where to save it to on your computer.

When it comes to the quality of the scan and the results it depends greatly from a low end scanner like this one and higher end models. Though this one does a really nice job with most basic scanning like black and white documents and even color scanning. It features 2400 x 4800 dpi (dots per inch) optical scanning which results in vivid color and won't leave your scans with washed out colors.

However, one caveat, it is photo quality scanner, but not on the same level as high scanners which means it should not be held against it. I have read many reviews about this specific model from Canon before I selected it and it was hammered by people for its low quality images. I think that was very unfair to expect a low cost scanner like this to perform like one that cost several hundred dollars.

My Final Thoughts

If you are looking for a low cost scanner to replace and older unit that will no longer work with the newer Windows 7 machines you cannot go wrong with the Canon LiDE 110 scanner. It is very compact and lightweight, but doesn't seem really cheap. Setup and installation is very quick and easy with only a single USB cable (included in the package) and a single software CD.

The software is fairly easy to use and it gives you both automatic operation and manual. If you chose the manual option there are many settings you can play around with which will change the resulting images. Depending on your experience level, you will get some very stunning results.

One thing I should point out that one limitation that the scanning technology used inside will only pick up details from what you are scanning that are in full contact with the scanning glass. So this means if you are trying to scan an object that has raised or recessed areas they will not be picked up as well by the scanner. You would be better off looking into a different model if you intend on using it for that purpose.

For the purpose of scanning black and white documents and some photos this scanner is quite capable, but if you are looking for a large format or high quality photo scanning you will be very disappointed.

As long as you keep that in mind you cannot go wrong with this little scanner.

Interface: USB

This flatbed scanner features up to 2400 x 4800 maximum color resolution with vivid 48-bit color depth for brilliant color scans. Four EZ buttons make...

Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 - Flatbed scanner - 2400 dpi x 4800 dpi - USB 2.0 4507B002