Canon PIXMA MG5320 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon PIXMA MG5320 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

My New Significant Other

Jun 11, 2012

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Great print quality, high resolution scanning, looks cool, compact, easy to use

Cons:Occasional dropped wireless connection

The Bottom Line: Just try it! It's easy to use, affordable, gets the job done, and doesn't take up much space.

So let me start by saying that I had been using a cheap HP all-in-one deskjet for the past five years and I was ready for something new. Don't get me wrong, I loved that big hunk of plastic and metal, but what is wired anymore? I finally decided to say goodbye to the HP and immediately fell in love with something else...the Canon Pixma MG5320.

I was looking for something sleek, on the smaller side, wireless, capable of scanning, capable of great print quality, and of course affordable. After a lot of reviews (and I mean A LOT) I decided to give this one a shot. The price was perfect, the shipping was free, and it came with ink and a good amount of samples of photo paper. Now that you've heard my story I'll tell you a bit about the printer itself.

Style: Looks awesome! Not too big, but not too small. It's shiny and sleek and compact. No annoying paper trays sticking out if I don't want them to. It actually looks cool, whereas my old one did not.

Design: The buttons are all on top and are easy to see and press. There is an LCD screen that rests flush into the top but can pop out for better viewing angles. It has a scroll button to scroll through all kinds of options. Very easy to use.

Capabilities: It can print from a rear tray or a front tray, has separate ink cartridges for each color (very handy), scanner, fax-ready, and can print basic text documents or vivid photographs.

Settings: So many I haven't even gone through them all yet. It's cool though that you can set the print settings right on the printer rather than just in the computer dialog box. You can also start scanning something right from the printer as well and set the quality and file output type. Very handy considering my last one had to be controlled via the computer program that I could never find.

Wireless connection: So I LOVE having a wireless printer. Sometimes it takes about 30 seconds or so for the computer and printer to communicate, but that might just be my network setup. Twice now in the few months I've had it the printer has lost connection to my router for some reason. I just shut the printer down and restarted the router and it was fine. Again, I have strange connectivity issues at my house so it might be from that. Otherwise, wireless is the way to go and I'll never go back.

Scanning: Easy to use! Great size flatbet scanner will do letter size documents. The top is fairly flexible so if you have to scan something thick it can accommodate it. You can set the resolution and output and the results are quick and detailed! I scan artwork and illustrations and it captures everything.

Last but not least, the most important part (or so you would think): print quality.

The short answer: AWESOME.

I printed all kinds of photos on the photo paper it came with, and then I ordered more paper and printed more photos! It looked great. I mean, I'm not a photographer or printer by trade, so I'm not super picky, but I am a designer and I know a good print when I see one. It did a great job with color profiles and everything was true to the screen. Great contrast and color, and no lines or speckles. Printed pretty quickly and the ink dried fast. Be sure to set the print settings to highest quality though and put the paper in right side up in the rear tray.

Ink: The ink it came with lasted quite a while considering I went on a photo printing frenzy. I must have printed 20 small photos, a few medium sized photos, and at least 4 8.5x11 prints. Not to mention all kinds of text and web sites and forms for three months. I am just now ordering replacements since the color is low finally. The more you print photographs or prints the faster the ink will go, but it seemed reasonable to me. The ink can be expensive, but if you shop at a discount retailer and get compatible cartridges it doesn't cost much at all!

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

The Canon PIXMA MG5320 printer not only prints but can also scans, copies and faxes documents and pictures, making office work convenient. Printing wi...