Canon MP280 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon MP280 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Canon InkJet MP280 All-In-One Printer @$30....Cheap Solution!

Feb 8, 2012

• Paper Handling:

Pros:CHEAPLY priced scanner/printer that does the job!

Cons:No printer cable included.  Limited scan area.

The Bottom Line: Cheap all-in-one that does the job!

OK...we all know that inkjet printer manufactures practically give away printers because they know that they'll make their profits on ink cartridge purchases.  But getting the Canon MP280 for $30 at leading retailer was a very cheap solution for a situation where I needed print,scan and copy functions while away for a month long trip.  At home, my scanning and printing needs are met by a Epson scanner and Canon Pixma 4300 printer.  But, I've been in the middle of some real estate transactions and knew that I would need something such as an all-in-one printer with my while spending a month far south of the cold weather in Western New York.  So, when I saw the MP280 on sale for $30, I purchased one figuring I didn't have much to loose.

Use this link to see some details: http://www.epinions.com/specs/canon-inkjet-mp280-printer

This all-in-one printer is your basic plastic brick, fairly compact in size (17.8 x 13.2 x 6.0" ) with a scan area limited to 8 1/2" X 11".  Print size maxes out at 8 1/2" X 14". There is only one feed slot for paper located at the back of the printer.  There are only two ink cartridges (black and tri-color).  An enclosed CD provides drivers and Canon software for a variety of printing/scanning tasks.  Canon does not include a printer cable....buyer beware! Obviously, with these specs, this is more of a general purpose printer and not for someone that needs legal size scanning, multiple page feeder, or hiqh quality photo printing.  But for day to day scanning, copying and printing tasks, this printer does the job.

Unpacking, setting up and installing software was quite easy.  It takes a few minutes to remove packing tapes, cardboard etc.  Then, it's just plugging in power cord and USB printer cable.  The CD installation process went very smoothely on my laptop (Windows Vista) and netbook (Windows XP).  So within 20 minutes, the MP280 was up and running.

Over the past six weeks, I've used this printer for basic printing and scanning chores.  Primarily, I've had to print PDF files, then scan and return them as PDF files.  I've also printed a few photos and general tasks such as a few letters, etc.  Bottom line....the MP280 performs these tasks at a very acceptable level.  I haven't tried doing any hiqh quality printing that you might equate with resumes or projects for presentations.  But if you are planning to do high quality printing jobs, you would want to look at a higher quality and pricier printer unless you can take this printer for a trial run at a retailer and see if it can measure up to the job.  For occasional photo printing, the results are OK, but not up to the quality of printers designed for photo printing.  And, it's more cost effective to print photos on printers with at least 6 ink cartridges (separate cartridges for each ink color).

So, after using this budget printer for a few weeks, I don't have any complaints, nor do I hesitate recommending it if you need something for light duty printing/scanning and basic printing jobs.  But, I suggest that you take a "hands on" look at printers that are available in nearby "brick and mortar" stores and see what "best deal" will meet your needs.

Thanks for reading my review and I'll try to answer any questions!

Operating System: Windows

Print true-to-life images with the Canon PIXMA MP280. The Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering technology employed in this Canon all-in-one...