Canon PIXMA iP4920 Digital Photo Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon PIXMA iP4920 Digital Photo Inkjet Printer

Great printer for the price

Nov 30, 2012 (Updated Dec 7, 2012)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Excellent text and photo printing; duplex printing; DVD/CD printing; great price; small profile.

Cons:No USB cord included; no DVD/CD tray instructions; expensive ink tanks.

The Bottom Line: An excellent low profile inkjet printer for home or small office use. Duplex printing and CD/DVD printing. Text and photos print excellently. Inexpensive but Canon ink tanks are expensive.

I purchased the Canon Pixma iP4920 to replace a Canon iP4600 which replaced a Canon iP4500. There was very little difference between the 4600 & the 4500 and little difference with the 4920, except the 4920 will also print on DVDs & CDs.

The iP4920 is a digital photo printer with inkjet technology. It will print in black at approx. 12.5 ipm and in color at 9.3 ipm.  The max. resolution in color is 9600x2400dpi. The interface is Pictbridge, USB2.0. It will print on photo paper, photo paper pro and plain paper.

One of the nicest features is that it has duplex printing which allows printing on both sides of the paper automatically. The printer also allows you to add various effects such as fish eye, soft focus & blur background to your images. The Pictbridge interface allows printing directly from a digital camera.

As with my previous Canon printers, I found the 4920 to be a solid performer with excellent graphic results and very good photo printing. The software includes Easy Photo Print but with the addition of CD/DVD printing. Of course you must purchase printable CDs or DVDs in order to use this feature. They are a bit more expensive than their counterpart non-printable type, but if you use this feature a lot it may be worth it.

The printer can print from the rear tray or the front loading paper tray. There is a special slot behind the drop down door for the CD/DVD tray. Unfortunately Canon did not include any instructions in the quick start guide or the online manual about how to use the CD/DVD tray. It also cannot be found anywhere on their website. I had to call Canon in order to get instructions as to how to use it. The tech I spoke with also did not know and he had to find someone who did. This is something Canon should correct.

Packaged with the printer is a power cord, quick start guide and CD/DVD tray and one set of ink cartridges. There is also a CD-ROM for setup and installation. There is no USB cord included. My installation went smooth on my PC running Windows XP, but I did have a problem trying to share the printer on my network with a laptop running Windows 7. My previous Canon printer, the iP4600, had no problems in this area. I had to call tech support at Canon for help in solving this networking problem and spent several hours on the phone with them (toll-free), until we finally figured out that it was a firewall problem. I had to disable my third party firewall and use Windows firewall in order to get it to share on my network.

I have not yet used the CD/DVD printing yet so I cannot comment on how well that feature works, but the text and photo printing is excellent. The ink cartridges for this printer are different than the ones for the iP4600 which were also different from the iP4500. It seems that every time Canon designs a new printer in the Pixma iP series, they make the ink tanks different so you can’t use any old tanks you might have had with a previous model. This is also something Canon should address.

In conclusion, I would recommend this printer for home or small office use and would further recommend using replacement ink tanks to avoid the high cost of Canon ink. There are several sites where you can purchase non-Canon replacement ink for a fraction of the cost of Canon ink. I have used them on my previous printers with no problems. An excellent site is 4Inkjets and their shipping is reasonable and fast. I purchased this printer on Amazon during cyber week at a special discounted price of $42. with free shipping.

Note: I have now used the CD/DVD printing mode and can report on that feature. In order to use this feature you have to go into Easy Photo Print and click on CD/DVD Print. You can then select the type of disk you wish to print on, which must be a printable CD/DVD or a disk label. You can then choose the theme, background, text area etc. You can also print photos on the CD/DVD. After all your selections are made, you then click on "Print" and a screen will pop up giving you instructions on what to do next such as open drop down door, insert disk tray, press resume button etc. You must follow the above order or the printer will not print on CD/DVDs. After printing on several printable DVDs, I found this feature to be excellent, producing professional like printed DVDs. Be sure to clear the words "text" where they appear on the screen before entering your own text and also be sure to uncheck "background color" or the text will be set in a color box on the DVD.

Amount Paid (US$): 42.
Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

Canon PIXMA iP4920 Premium Inkjet Photo Printer Brand new, unopened Incredible 9600 x 2400 color dpi for the best in photo lab printing Borderless 4x6...