Great little camera, not too expensive.

Apr 18, 2012

Pros:Large screen
HD Video
Good price
Battery good

Cons:Indoor results mixed
Flash seems a little weak

The Bottom Line: Good camera, but don't expect anything spectacular to come from it.

I got this camera to go along side my Olympus Tough 8010. I found that although I could take the Olympus anywhere, the picture quality was just not good enough. I wouldn't call myself a keen photographer, but having this IXUS has made getting an average photo a lot easier.

Firstly is the build quality, as wih all Canons, it seems very well built, although I wouldn't chuck it about like you can confidently do with other camers.

The start up time is average, obviously not as good as expensive SLRs, but I have used a lot worse on a compact. The lag time is also quite impressive, and auto-focusing is very fast.

Picture quality is good, it seems to cope outside under any lighting conditions, even when just left on the automatic settings. When indoors, under good light it performs well, but say a dark room with a birthday cake (with candles) it may struggle. Some of the settings are a bit barmy too, I cant see how some of them are that different.

The HD video is a nice addition, although rarely used it has performed well when I have given it a go.

As with all software I get with with cameras/scanners/printers, I try to keep it as far away from my computer as possible. Just havind an SD slot is a lot simpler, and the Canon allows me to do this. Also no more messy wires.

Battery life is very good, even when left in the car for a long period of time, no battery life is lost.

The screen is very bright and vibrant, and being 3 inches across it is great to view photos on. It has seemed to scratch easier than my other cameras, but maybe this could have been avoided by using a camera case.