Canon PowerShot SX40 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera - Black Reviews

Great Quality Camera For The Price

Jan 17, 2012

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:

Pros:Great bargain, 35X Zoom, Great Features

Cons:Can be difficult to navigate.

The Bottom Line: This camera is a bargain for what it can do. Great features for a $400 camera. I would recommend it to anyone. Navagation may be hard for some.

When it comes to quality cameras at a low price, the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Digital Camera fits the bill. When it comes to cameras, I have only bought Canon and Sony. I am not a professional photographer, but I do know my way around a camera. My kids are 6 and 3. I really try my best to capture these special times in both our lives. Speaking of children, this is a great camera to capture photos of the family, children, landscapes, and much more. This camera also has HD video as well. With all the features and the quality of this camera, it is worth every penny.

My wife and children bought this camera for me for Christmas so I am only a few weeks into the process, but I am truly excited about this camera and everything it has to offer. The picture is great and the video is outstanding. I am familiar with Canon, but I am still a rookie to this camera. If anyone is familiar with Power Shot, the controls are nearly the same. I am not saying that it is easy to learn all the new functions, but I have accomplished it in a few short weeks. This is everything I know.

INCLUDED

Battery Pack
Case For Hot Shoe Cap
Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM

PICTURE

One of the best features about this camera is the zoom lens. It has the 35X Zoom, which gives you the ability to zoom up on things very far away. When I first tried it, I was left amazed. It is nearly like looking in a telescope. I also enjoy taking pictures of nature and the wildlife. I caught a great picture of a 10 point buck and it appeared like I was just a few feet away. The deer was up on the mountain ridge line. When I looked at the picture, it was crystal clear. The camera has automatic lighting adjustments, which makes daytime and night pictures simple. I have heard other people complain about their night pictures, but I haven't had any trouble yet. Plus, I haven't took many night pictures as of this moment. The SX40 HS also has the Zoom Framing Assistant Button, which helps you capture small objects in your pictures. It comes in handy when you are searching the back of your pictures. The Quick Bright Mode allows you to compose your pictures in bright outdoor lighting. It is like the camera thinks for itself.

VIDEO

When it comes to shooting video, the camera performs just as well. The SX40 HS has the DIGIC5 processor, which truly gives you maximum performance. The camera films in HD 1080p, which gives you the best quality picture. The SX40 also has a large variety of shooting modes, such as auto, landscape, portrait, scene, and movie. This camera has the 2.7 inch LCD swivel screen. The swivel screen really helps you out when it comes to taking those tough pictures or tough shots. It flips out and in to the body. Once it is flipped out, it turns on the swivel. You can also play back your videos through the HDMI output. The SX40 HS also has VCM (Voice Control Motor). This feature allows you to quietly zoom in and out while you are recording. I have played back a lot of my videos and you can hear absolutely nothing. It is a great feature to have if you are zooming in and out while recording. When it comes to taking pictures and video of the highest quality, the SX40 HS is the perfect camera.

BATTERY

When it comes to the battery, it really holds it own. It has the NB-7L  battery. Canon states that you can get 400 exposures for EVF and 370 for LCD. I take more videos then pictures. I can still get hours of video on a full battery. It just all depends on if you are shooting video for straight hours upon hours or here and there. My battery charges full in just a few hours. It doesn't take long at all. When I am taking just pictures, it seems to last forever. But then again, you use a lot of battery while you are recording. If I had to rate the battery life, I would give it a 4 out of 5.

ZOOM

The zoom is one of the top features on the SX40 HS. The 35X Wide Angle Optical Zoom allows you to zoom in from a far distance. The zoom ranges from 24mm to 840mm. As I stated before, this camera is nearly like looking through a telescope. The zoom is awesome for those long range shots and video. The Zoom Assistant Button makes those long range shots easy. If you know a little about cameras, then you know you can pay thousands for a zoom like this. This is what makes this camera a bargain. For the price you pay for this phone, you are literally getting it for a steal at the $400 range.

OVERALL

This camera is a steal at $400. The Optical Image Stabilizer is great for anyone that has a shakes while taking pictures or recording. With all these great features, this camera has a professional feel and it still is a bargain. I am nearly a month into the camera and I love it. The Improved Smart Auto scans through 32 different shooting situations so you can get the perfect picture. I have nothing bad to say about this camera. I would recommend it to anyone. Like I said before, it may be difficult to navigate for some, but you can eventually learn all the features.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Solid Enough for a Professional

Dhcamera Store Payments Shipping Returns Terms Brand New Genuine Part Welcome to D H Cameras! This item is a brand new part from Canon. For installati...

Image Sensor 1/2.3 CMOS Aperture f/2.7 (W), f/5.8 (T) LCD 2.7 230K Max. Recording Resolution 1920 x 1080 Battery Life Approx. 400 shots (Viewfinder) A...
Canon SX40 HS 12.1MP Digital Camera with SSE Lens Package - Great Bundle
Newegg.com
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Black 12.1 MP 35X Optical Zoom 24mm Wide Angle Digital Camera, Everything You Need Kit, 5251B001