Casablanca (VHS, 2001, Special Edition) Reviews

Casablanca (VHS, 2001, Special Edition)

74 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

"Here's Looking At You, Kid"

Feb 15, 2012

Pros:Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, the last scene

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: This is a classic that is unforgettable. The last scene makes the entire movie all the better.

If I had seen Casablanca before, I did not remember it. That, in itself, proves I had never seen Casablanca before. The movie is unforgettable. I didn’t know where “Here’s looking at you, kid” came from. Now I know. It came from Casablanca. Those words and the song, As Time Goes By, are a big part of the film. The film is set in a war-torn 1943 and the scenes play out, mostly from Rick’s Café Americain.

Rick’s Café Americain is a “saloon” owned by Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) and this café is the place to be according to the locals of Casablanca who visit the bar regularly to drink and gamble in the back room. Rick is calm, cool and collective, never seeming to care what happens in his bar. He makes it his rule to never drink with the customers but breaks his usual habit by having a drink with the couple who walk in one night on their way to America. It is obvious from his expression that he has some past involvement with the woman, Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) who is there with her husband, Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid).

As Rick remembers his past and Ilsa stops by to see him after hours, the story unfolds. The two were in love in Paris and Ilsa leaves Rick standing in the rain at a train station with a “Dear Rick” note in his hand. The rain smudges the note as he reads, realizing that the woman he loves is saying good-bye. He ends up in Casablanca with his piano-playing friend, Sam (Dooley Wilson), running a “saloon”. He never expects to see Ilsa again and when she walks in, waking up the painful memories and with a husband in tow, Rick begins to recall their time in Paris.

Ilsa and Victor, who is a prominent leader of the French Resistance, are there seeking visas to get them to America. Rick wonders if Victor is as passionate about his wife as he is his work and there is a scene where Victor proves to Rick that he loves Ilsa just as much or more than he does his work. Rick has the visas that Ilsa and Victor need, but he refuses to sell them to them and says they can’t be bought for any price. This is when Ilsa visits Rick, once again, after hours. It is then that she tells him her story, revealing truths that she had failed to mention when he knew her in Paris.

The story continues through the heart-wrenching and somewhat surprising final scene and, in the end, we are aware that Rick has all of the qualities of a great character. He truly is the “good guy” we love to love in the movies. Casablanca is a classic that is more than worthy of the word classic. It will touch your heart and you will never forget where “Here’s looking at you, kid” came from.

Lean & Mean at 497 words

World War II Morocco springs to life in Michael Curtiz's (THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY) classic love story. Colorful characters a...