Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen Deluxe Edition) Reviews

Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Jul 19, 2005 (Updated Jul 19, 2005)
Rated Show

Pros:great special effects, very "Burton"-esque use of color

Cons:storyline seemed forced and deviated from the original story

This movie definitely had a Burton feel to it, though I was a bit disappointed in the content. They left out what I feel was an important aspect to the story: the children being bribed to steal from Mr. Wonka. I remember Wonka seeking someone who loved candy and would take care of his factory and workers, but in this film he seemed not to care who won the contest. There seemed to be an over-emphasis on the family aspect and not on the honesty and integrity of the child. The special effects were stunning, and once again Burton has managed to completely freak me out with his use of color. I couldn't understand much of what the Oompa Loompa's were singing about, which was frustrating. The kid that played Charlie was phenomenal. All in all worth seeing, especially if you are a Burton fan like me. Not so much for fans of Dahl's novels.

Who better to bring Roald Dahl's adored children's story to life than the mastermind behind inventive films like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and BEETLEJUICE? ...