Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen Deluxe Edition) Reviews

Roald Dahl's dark humor gets sugar-coated

Jul 24, 2005

Pros:costumes colorful; Charlie Bucket and Grandpa Joe warm and interesting

Cons:Johnny Depp totally miscast Oompa Loompas scary- robotic killer dolls?

The Bottom Line: My advice- skip the movie, read the book out loud (to yourself or others) and grab a candy bar.

I so looked forward to Tim Burton's rendition of Charlie, and was sadly disappointed. My kids and I saw it together, having recently re-read the book. The beauty of Dahl's story is that it creates likable and hateable characters without the patronizing moralizing that is so often found in modern children's stories. The mishaps of the 4 spoiled children in the book can send the kids reading it into peals of laughter (just like the Oompa -Loompas). At the movie theater today there was dead silence, with perhaps a few chuckles at the very beginning, when Grandpa Joe did his dance, but after that- nothing.
Other reviewers have noted the eerie weirdness of Johnny Depp's Willie Wonka. I can't count how many times he said "How weird" to one of the other characters- a dumbing down (again) of one of the most literate and delightful personalities in children's literature. The only thing I found weird (besides Willy Wonka) were the chilling robotic Oompa Loompas. What ever happened to playful and mischievous?
I understand the need for the movie to exist on its own, and not to have to follow the book exactly, but I found the tenor of this film so opposite to the playful irony of the original, that I became bored and began checking my watch for the last half hour. I was most distressed by the plot addition of Willie Wonka's childhood as candy-deprived and emotionally abused by his father. This seems to be the socially acceptable rationale for becoming either a mass murderer, a pedophile or a poorly adjusted candy magnate.

Who better to bring Roald Dahl's adored children's story to life than the mastermind behind inventive films like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and BEETLEJUICE? ...