Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen Deluxe Edition) Reviews

Felt Like I was watching Michael Jackson

Aug 2, 2005
Rated Show

Pros:Some neat effects, mainly with the squirrels.

Cons:Depp not a good Wonka. Movie is to dark. Oompa Looma and songs were awful.

I took my 4 year old to see this. He likes the original better. Much like the original, the beginning takes to long to get to the point. Johnny Depp was the WRONG choice for this part. He seems like he is trying to be Jim Carrey playing Michael Jackson except this Michael Jackson hates kids. The oompa loompas (or should I say the one oompa loompa) did not fit either. Seems like they had to cut costs for this movie and only have one guy and then multiply him. The songs were awful, I couldnt wait for each one to end.
Ive seen the original so many times, that I dont remember how true to the book it actually was, so I didnt care for the references to Willy Wonkas childhood nor the ending where charlie reunites him with his parents.
I think you just have to be a Tim Burton fan to like his movies, and I dont like either.

Who better to bring Roald Dahl's adored children's story to life than the mastermind behind inventive films like EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and BEETLEJUICE? ...