Cisco RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router-VPN Gigabit Router Reviews

Cisco RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router-VPN Gigabit Router

RSV4000 review

Jul 22, 2007 (Updated Jul 22, 2007)
Rated Show

Pros:Price, performance, ease of configuration, deep feature set

Cons:More VPN tunnels and more gigabit ports would be nice.

First of all, the shopping.com entry for this product includes "Wireless G" in the product title/description. This is an error as this product has no wireless features.

Overall, this is a very capable router using its Linux-based engine to deliver a lots of features and capabilities not usually included in consumer-grade routers. Yet it's relatively easy to configure, providing the user has some knowledge of routing principles, due to its built-in documentation. I had three VPN tunnels to Netgear and DiamondMM VPN routers up in less than 20 minutes. However, if one has never setup VPN tunnels before, it can take days to get VPNs working on any router through trial and error. So far, the RVS4000 is very stable, and I'm using its QOS features to prevent my Vonage service from experiencing voice cut-outs during high traffic periods. At this time, it appears no other router can touch this one for the price if you need a few VPNs (5 router to router and 5 client to router), four gigabit ports and QOS.

Product Features: LAN Standards: IEEE 802.3ab 1000 Mbps (Gigabit Ethernet), IEEE 802.3u 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet); Firewall Features: Stateful Packet I...