-20%
Cisco RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router-VPN Gigabit Router Reviews

Cisco RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router-VPN Gigabit Router

Versatile, powerful, lots of features

Apr 25, 2010

Pros:Extensive feature set: VLANs, IPS, configurable firewall, DMZ capability, internet access policy.

Cons:It took them a while to get all of the firmware bugs out.

The Bottom Line: Its a great value for a 1000Mbit capable router with lots of features.

I have had very positive experience with Linksys Networking equipment in the past, and in general, the RVS4000 meets my expectations. I had a few minor glitches not working correctly with the 1.2.X firmware revision, but after upgrading to firmware V1.3.1, all were corrected. I bought this product because I was looking for an inexpensive router that would do 1000 Base-TX, had a more sophisticated, configurable firewall including policy based settings, and allow the use of VLANS (802.1Q) to integrate with my managed switch.

I have configured many of the advanced networking features such as DHCP addresses with Static IP Mappings (or DHCP reservations), VLANS (802.1Q), IPS, Firewall policies with IP ACLs, and I can say that they have done a good job of making complex networking configuration fairly easy and relatively bulletproof; although using these features requires an general understanding of Layer 2, and Layer 3 networking. That being said, the RVS4000 can be setup initially with the default configuration, and turn on a few of the more advanced features without much networking knowledge – it comes configured with sensible defaults.

The feature that my wife really likes is the “Internet Access Policy” where I can allow my kid’s computer on the internet for any time frame that I choose. This combined with the NTP feature insures the little one is only playing games when I allow.

I will say that I setup the IPS feature with the latest signature update and it had a dramatic bandwidth reduction affect on my wife’s Sun Ray diskless workstation, so I disabled the IPS feature.

All of the above features I've tried work as advertised, and are stable.

Shop with confidence, 3 years warranty provided.