Microsoft (D66-00029) Mouse

Great for general computer use.

Mar 17, 2004

Pros:Great, inexpensive, general purpose mouse; has a USB plug with a PS/2 adapter.

Cons:Probably not the best mouse for gaming; Microsoft driver conflicts with Synpatics touchpad.

The Bottom Line: Great, inexpensive, general purpose mouse, plugs into your USB or PS/2 port. Reliable and ergonomically well designed. Brand name component.

I own a Dell laptop with a Synpatics touchpad and trackpoint device. I was tired of the mouse pointer bouncing around all over the place whenever I typed -- this was either because of the touchpad or the trackpoint device being too sensitive to vibrations, so I disabled both (through the Synpatics Touchpad driver program).

I bought a Microsoft optical mouse from a small, independent computer store in Monrovia, California last July (2003). I asked the guy how much and he told me $6. I was surprised. I wasn't sure if the mouse was the 'real thing' or if I was buying a dud. But, I bought it anyway.

For my purposes (a lot of general use things, such as word processing, spreadsheet, Powerpoint, Internet, etc.), this mouse has worked great.

All that I had to do when I got the mouse was plug it into my computer's USB port or PS/2 port. My laptop automatically recognized the device. One shortcoming of NOT installing a Microsoft mouse driver for this mouse is that whenever I select text spanning a few pages in Microsoft Word, the mouse pointer will scroll way too quickly and I will have many pages of text highlighted (rather than the page and a half I wanted).

To remedy this 'fast scroll' problem, I downloaded from Microsoft the driver for my Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse. It remedied the problem, but it also conflicted with my already installed Synaptics touchpad driver (which I had to uninstall). I was aware of the conflict because, whenever I would shut down my computer, a pop-up window would state that the computer failed to shutdown a DLL which related to the Microsoft Mouse driver. Well, I ended up uninstalling the Microsoft Mouse driver as well.

Ergonomically, I find the mouse very comfortable to operate. While this mouse is optical, so it's without a mouse ball, and so it doesn't necessarily need a mouse pad, I have found that movement is a lot more fluid with a mousepad supporting the mouse. (I bought a cheap one for $3 from Office Depot.)

This mouse comes with a USB plug, but on the end of it is a PS/2 adapter which you can snap on or off. I usually plug my mouse into my external IBM Tracking IV keyboard which has a PS/2 port on it for an external mouse device (in case you don't want to use the Trackpoint device on the keyboard). But, when I'm traveling, I don't take the external keyboard with me and I simply plug my mouse into the PS/2 port in the back of my laptop.

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 For Business Black 3 Buttons 1 X Wheel Usb Wired

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 For Business Black 3 Buttons 1 X Wheel Usb Wired

About Us FAQ Contact Us Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired IMPORTANT : Limit 5 per customer! Orders that exc...

MicroSoft Mouse Mobile 3000 Wireless Pink

MicroSoft Mouse Mobile 3000 Wireless Pink

Be comfortable while on the go with this compact, mobile mouse. Smooth optical performance, a scroll wheel and four buttons keep you productive. Then ...
Microsoft D5d-00065 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Cosmic Black

Microsoft D5d-00065 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Cosmic Black

Microsoft D5D-00065 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Cosmic Black Microsoft D5D-00065 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Cosmic Black package retail box, full w...

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse (Black)

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse (Black)

The Arc Touch Mouse combines innovative design and accurate tracking technology for a useful and beautiful accessory.
Microsoft Store

Microsoft ARC Touch Mouse Black PL2

Microsoft ARC Touch Mouse Black PL2

Stylish and eye-catching, the Arc Touch Mouse is more than a pretty device. Its reliable wireless freedom plus Microsoft touch technology on the go. U...

Microsoft(R) Arc(TM) Touch Mouse, Black

Microsoft(R) Arc(TM) Touch Mouse, Black

Dramatically different design Elegant, flexible mouse curves for comfortable use. It can be flattened for easy packing. Easy to use - responds instant...
Office Depot

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

A better way to work. This wired USB mouse uses an optical sensor to navigate with speed, accuracy, and reliability. From Microsoft.
QVC

Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000

Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000

The reliability and comfort of the Comfort Mouse 3000 will help you get the job done, even if youaTMre playing.
h.h. gregg
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 L2

Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 L2

Payment Shipping Returns Contact Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 L2 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 Landscape 2.0 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 Landscape 2.0...

Microsoft - Arc Touch Mouse - Black

Microsoft - Arc Touch Mouse - Black

This mouse features an ergonomic touch-to-scroll design for easy and comfortable navigation through your computer's programs.
Best Buy