Microsoft (D66-00029) Mouse

Great for general computer use.

Mar 17, 2004

Pros:Great, inexpensive, general purpose mouse; has a USB plug with a PS/2 adapter.

Cons:Probably not the best mouse for gaming; Microsoft driver conflicts with Synpatics touchpad.

The Bottom Line: Great, inexpensive, general purpose mouse, plugs into your USB or PS/2 port. Reliable and ergonomically well designed. Brand name component.

I own a Dell laptop with a Synpatics touchpad and trackpoint device. I was tired of the mouse pointer bouncing around all over the place whenever I typed -- this was either because of the touchpad or the trackpoint device being too sensitive to vibrations, so I disabled both (through the Synpatics Touchpad driver program).

I bought a Microsoft optical mouse from a small, independent computer store in Monrovia, California last July (2003). I asked the guy how much and he told me $6. I was surprised. I wasn't sure if the mouse was the 'real thing' or if I was buying a dud. But, I bought it anyway.

For my purposes (a lot of general use things, such as word processing, spreadsheet, Powerpoint, Internet, etc.), this mouse has worked great.

All that I had to do when I got the mouse was plug it into my computer's USB port or PS/2 port. My laptop automatically recognized the device. One shortcoming of NOT installing a Microsoft mouse driver for this mouse is that whenever I select text spanning a few pages in Microsoft Word, the mouse pointer will scroll way too quickly and I will have many pages of text highlighted (rather than the page and a half I wanted).

To remedy this 'fast scroll' problem, I downloaded from Microsoft the driver for my Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse. It remedied the problem, but it also conflicted with my already installed Synaptics touchpad driver (which I had to uninstall). I was aware of the conflict because, whenever I would shut down my computer, a pop-up window would state that the computer failed to shutdown a DLL which related to the Microsoft Mouse driver. Well, I ended up uninstalling the Microsoft Mouse driver as well.

Ergonomically, I find the mouse very comfortable to operate. While this mouse is optical, so it's without a mouse ball, and so it doesn't necessarily need a mouse pad, I have found that movement is a lot more fluid with a mousepad supporting the mouse. (I bought a cheap one for $3 from Office Depot.)

This mouse comes with a USB plug, but on the end of it is a PS/2 adapter which you can snap on or off. I usually plug my mouse into my external IBM Tracking IV keyboard which has a PS/2 port on it for an external mouse device (in case you don't want to use the Trackpoint device on the keyboard). But, when I'm traveling, I don't take the external keyboard with me and I simply plug my mouse into the PS/2 port in the back of my laptop.

Microsoft 3500 Mouse

Grab Your Mouse and Go!Keep moving with a transceiver that stays in your mobile PC when you go and a mouse that works on more surfaces with Microsoft ...
Office Depot

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 For Business Black 3 Buttons 1 X Wheel Usb Wired

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 For Business Black 3 Buttons 1 X Wheel Usb Wired

About Us FAQ Contact Us Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired IMPORTANT : Limit 5 per customer! Orders that exc...

Microsoft 200 Mouse

Easy setup. Get started with a mouse that plugs right in. You can quickly get to that spreadsheet you need and scroll through it with precision. The m...

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 -White

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 -White

Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business - Mouse - optical - 3 buttons - wired - USB - white

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, Usb, 4 Button, Black D5d-00001

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, Usb, 4 Button, Black D5d-00001

1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, USB, 4 Button, Black SKU: MISD5D00001 Mfr. Part: D5D-00...
Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

Microsoft Wired Notebook Compact Optical Mouse500

A better way to work. This wired USB mouse uses an optical sensor to navigate with speed, accuracy, and reliability. From Microsoft.
QVC

Microsoft D5D-00001 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - mouse

Microsoft D5D-00001 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - mouse

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Mouse - optical - 4 buttons - wireless - 2.4 GHz - USB wireless receiver - graphite
PCM

Microsoft D5D-00001 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black

Microsoft D5D-00001 Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black

Carry this compact and sporty wireless mouse and use it just about anywhere even on your living room carpet relying on Microsoft BlueTrack Technolo...
MacMall