Iomega ZIP 250 (31653) External ZIP Drive

don't do it! zip250 not worth it

Nov 8, 2005
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:none

Cons:costly, flimsy hardware, lack of compatibility, speed

The Bottom Line: It comes with Musicmatch, Adobe Reader, and not much more. Seek better, cheaper, more compatible hardware elsewhere!

I bought the ZIP250 with 3 clamshell-shaped disks in a combo package. It wasn't worth it, and here's why:

1. Speed was slow USB 1.1. If you have one big file it's better, but with small files it slows to a crawl. I never knew 250 MB would take half an hour to write, sheesh.

2. Cost. The drive itself is costly, but ZIP media is expensive too, perhaps because only the ZIP drive maker supports it. There just isn't that big of a user base.

3. Compatibility. Sure, the drive is USB-powered, and external, so you can in theory walk around with it and use it any any computer. But realistically, it's not going to happen, and you will often encounter computers without a compatible ZIP drive--or a ZIP drive at all.

4. Options elsewhere. CD-RW and DVD-RW are cheaper alternatives in the long run with far better compatibility and somewhat faster drive speeds.

5. Flimsy hardware. My ZIP 250's drive bay door broke off and though it still works, it's not a good sign. Also, one of my 3 disks that came with the drive broke after about 2 years of very rare use; maybe it was because I left it in the drive during a few power-ups. You aren't supposed to leave the disks in the drive while it's powering up, but how many of us aren't going to forget once in a while?

Operating System: Windows

Iomega 10919 100 Zip External Drive Parallel Port Pcs Z100 Storage Media Data

Iomega 10919 100 Zip External Drive Parallel Port Pcs Z100 Storage Media Data

Iomega 100 Zip Drive You will be getting a NEW Iomega 100 Zip Drive.Here are more details:New in package External 100 Zip Drive Disks Not Included See...

31714 100 MB USB-Powered Zip Drive

31714 100 MB USB-Powered Zip Drive

Powered through your computer's USB connection One 100 MB Zip disk (not included) holds the equivalent of 85 floppy disks Data transfer rate of 0.9 MB...
Lot Of 10 Iomega 750mb Internal Zip Drive Z750atapi Brand Sealed

Lot Of 10 Iomega 750mb Internal Zip Drive Z750atapi Brand Sealed

Lot of 10 Iomega 750MB Internal Zip Drive Z750ATAPI Items are brand new sealed, bulk packaging Guaranteed not to be DOA