Microsoft Natural Elite A1300002 Wired Keyboard Reviews

Microsoft Natural Elite A1300002 Wired Keyboard

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite Has PS/2 And USB But Buttons Too Small

Jul 25, 2001

Pros:Comfortable, helps prevent carpal tunnel, looks cool, has USB connection

Cons:Pricey, odd key layout (arrow keys, Home, Insert, etc.)

The Bottom Line: I like it

I have used the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite at work and the cheap no-name copy at home. The Microsoft keyboard is very comfortable, the pressure you have to apply to the keys is just right. The keyboard not only looks cool, but also helps prevent carpal tunnel.

This keyboard is the second in a series of ergonomically designed keyboards from Microsoft. Its split, gently sloped design allows you to place your hands, wrists and forearms in a natural position for greater comfort while typing. If you have never used a split keyboard before, this model will take some time to get used to, but after that you will like it. The split design also encourages you to type properly (without your left hand using the keys on the right side and vice versa).

Space-Saving Design

The improved space-saving design takes up less room on your desk and fits easily into keyboard trays. However, to save space, the cursor control (arrow) keys and special keys (Home, Delete, Insert, etc.) decreased in size and changed position (see below).

The Natural Keyboard Elite is both PS/2 and USB compatible. The included USB adapter allows you to use your Natural Keyboard Elite with computers that have USB port (I was surprised that there was no standard keyboard connector included, however you can buy a generic connector for about $5 if you have an older PC). Although I use the PS/2 connection, the ability to use it with USB is quite nice.

There are two disadvantages I noticed:
1. The cursor control (arrow) keys layout is different from standard keyboards. And they are too small.
2. The Home, End, Delete, PgUp, PgDn and Insert keys... see above.

Because of this, it is difficult to use the above mentioned buttons without looking, especially if you routinely use this keyboard and another keyboard. For example, I use MS Elite at work and another keyboard at home and it takes some effort to “mentally switch” between different layouts. You think that you are pushing “Home” button, but in fact it’s something else.

Reliability

When I got my first keyboard, the [A] key didn't work so we had to replace the keyboard, but after that it worked fine for more than a year.

Bottom Line

In general, I like it a lot!

Home Contact About Questions? Call us: 1-877-328-9236 Technology Industrial Lab Test Electrical Semiconductor NEW Microsoft A13-00002 Natural Elite Ke...