KDS Avitron 7TF 17" CRT Monitor

KDS Is Over The Rainbow!

Jan 20, 2001 (Updated Jan 20, 2001)

Pros:Excellent Color Quality (Comparable to Sony CPD-200ES), Inexpensive

Cons:Takes Up Too Much Desk Space

The Bottom Line: This is a True Flat Display with excellent color quality and was super easy to install. It has great color and no flicker.

After promising ourselves we would hold off until the new year to complete our fourth computer system, we patiently anticipated the year 2001. Once the new year arrived and the ice and snow stopped, we packed up our family and began our shopping voyage through Office Depot. We were ready to purchase our new monitor.

As the kids of the family receive our hand-me-down equipment for their computer systems, my son was as thrilled to receive the old 15” monitor I was discarding since I was upgrading to a newer, sharper one. When we arrived at the store, I was disappointed that the Sony’s were no longer sold there. Our last monitor had been a Sony 17” CPD-200ES and is still looking great. I wanted the same eye-catching color that my husband’s monitor had, and I would settle for no less.

First Impressions
As I browsed the monitor section of Office Depot, my son went directly to the KDS AV-7TF 17” monitor. There were Compaq, Viewsonic, KDS, and another brand I had never heard of before to choose from. I glanced through all the monitors for the perfect color I expect out of my monitor. My eyes kept being drawn to the KD AV-7TF 17” monitor that my son kept saying to buy.

My husband was wanting me to get a 19”; however, none of the 19” monitors had the color quality I wanted. Most were blurry and dull looking. Even the KDS 19” was not the quality picture I demanded. I finally decided on the AV-7TF even though I could not see any specifications on this monitor on display, and we did not have internet capability at the store to check for its specs.

We finally got the attention of an employee, and I asked him if he could find out what dot pitch the monitor had in the 19” and the 17”. Shortly, he came back and said the pitch was .24mm. No wonder the 17” blew all the others away! The other monitors were .28mm and one other was .26mm. There is no comparison. I had to have the .24mm 17”.

I checked the price and nearly fainted. It was only $249! I had paid over $100 more for my old Sony, and this one had a smaller dot pitch. If only the 19” had as good color, we would have bought that, but I shrugged and pointed to the smaller screen that my son was practically hugging. My son may be six years old, but he has an eye for good picture quality.

Our new monitor sat “shot-gun” on the way home since it would not fit into our trunk as we sped happily home. My husband and I were actually arguing in the car over who would get to install the monitor. Imagine that. I finally gave in and said “Fine, you can do it while I order lunch to be delivered.”

Installation

My husband had disconnected my son’s monitor, my old 15” monitor and changed to my son’s computer, and installed my new monitor before our lunch arrived. It was simple to hook up, and there were no drivers to install or download. The monitor is Plug-N-Play, and it was instantly recognized by Windows.

My husband messed with some of the settings that came with the monitor for fun and turned it over to me. I haven’t left the computer since. I can happily read epinions, emails, small print that was once fuzzy, and the color is great.

Features

~~~ * ~~~ 17” (16” viewable) FD Trinitron Picture Tube
~~~ * ~~~ Multi-scanning at horizontal frequencies of 30KHz to 70KHz
~~~ * ~~~ Vertical frequencies of 50Hz to 160Hz
~~~ * ~~~ .24mm Aperture Grille Center Pitch (I love this!)
~~~ * ~~~ Microprocessor –based design with digital controls
~~~ * ~~~ Windows 95 and 98 plug and play (VESA DDC2B, DDC2B+, DDC/CI)
~~~ * ~~~ 8 Preset Modes
~~~ * ~~~ Overscan capability for viewable area
~~~ * ~~~ Compatible with standard IBM VGA, extended VGA, SVGA, IBM XGA, XGA/2, and all VESA ergonomic standards
~~~ * ~~~ Compatible with Apple MacIntosh up to 1024 x 768 @ 75Hz (also 832 x 624 up to 75Hz)
~~~ * ~~~ Universal power supply
~~~ * ~~~ (MPR II) compliant (TCO’92)
~~~ * ~~~ VESA Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) compatible

The video setup should be set up as 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz, 1024 x 76 @ 85Hz, 800 x 600 @ 85Hz, and 640 x 480 @ 85Hz to utilize the maximum capabilities.

Digital Control Panel
There is a front digital control panel easily accessible on the front center of the monitor to change your monitor settings.
Enter Enables the On Screen Display and also for selecting the function from the Main Menu.
Exit/Degauss Manual degausses the CRT. Can be used to control the display should it become discolored or washed out in appearance. Also exits the On Screen Display.
Up Moves up the On Screen Display menu and adjusts the attributes while in this mode. It increases contrasts of the display screen.
Down Moves down the On Screen Display menu and adjusts the attributes while in this mode. It decreases the level of contrasts of the display screen.
Contrasts Adjusts the luminosity level of the display.
Brightness Adjusts the black level of the display.
Zoom Select this control and use the plus or minus button to zoom in or out the image on the screen.
H-Position (Horizontal Position) Select this control and use the plus or minus button to center the image horizontally on the screen.
H-Size (Horizontal Size) Select this control and then use the plus or minus button to greaten or lessen the image width to horizontally fit the screen.
V-Position (Vertical Position) Select this control and then use the plus or minus button to center the image vertically on the screen.
V-Size (Vertical Size) Select this control and then use the plus or minus button to adjust the image height to vertically fill the screen.
Side-Pin (Pincushion) Select this control and then use the plus or minus button to straighten the sides of the image by pulling them in opposite directions.
Pin Balance Select this control and then use the plus or minus button to straighten the sides of the image by pulling them in the corresponding direction.
Corner Pin Select this control and use the plus or minus button to straighten the top and bottom corners of the image by pulling them in opposing directions.
Trapezoid Select this control and use the plus or minus button to even the widths of the top and bottom of the display.
Parallelogram Select this control and use the plus or minus button to center the top and bottom of the display.
Rotation Select this control and use the plus or minus button to rotate the image until the sides of it are parallel to the edge of the bezel.
Moire Select this control and use the plus or minus button to eliminate the moire.
Color Control (Temperature) Select this control and use the plus or minus button to scroll to the color temperature you want. The color controls are 9300K, 6500K, 5000K, or USER (defined) for custom settings.
R-Gain (red) Select color 4:USER then press the right arrow button on the monitor to scroll up and down the RGB menu to R. You can use the plus or minus button to adjust to the desired color of red.
G-Gain (green) This is used the same way as R-Gain except scroll up or down the RGB menu to G to select the color green and adjust with the plus or minus button.
B-Gain (blue) This is also used the same was as R-Gain and G-Gain except select and adjust the B setting on the RGB menu.
Language Select this control and use the plus or minus button to choose from English, German, Spanish, Italian, or French.
OSD Position Select this control and press the right arrow button on the monitor in the direction to move the menu.
Recall Resets the display back to the original settings that were preset at the factory.

There is a KDS toll free number (1-800-283-1311) in case there is something missing from the box. My package was complete. The monitor was safely packed in thick Styrofoam which my 16 month old daughter promptly tried to eat. It is so aggravating to try to get something set up and then discover you have to dig Styrofoam out of your child’s mouth while she is laughing at you and trying to run away.

Amount Paid (US$): $249
Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

HP GV546A4#ABA DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24

HP GV546A4#ABA DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24

HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional - LCD monitor - 24 - 1920 x 1200 - 250 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 6 ms - HDMI 2xDVI-I DisplayPort - silver carbonite
PCM

3M C1700SS 17 Enclosure Serial Touchscreen Monitor

3M C1700SS 17 Enclosure Serial Touchscreen Monitor

Panel Active Matrix, TFT LCD Display Type SXGA Maximum Resolution 1280 x 1024 Recommended Resolution 1280 x 1024 Viewing Angle 160(H) / 160(V) Pixel P...

SAMSUNG S20A350B ToC Rose Black 20 LED BackLight LCD Monitor

SAMSUNG S20A350B ToC Rose Black 20 LED BackLight LCD Monitor

Stand Adjustments Tilt 0 - 20 Recommended Resolution 1600 x 900 Display Colors 16.7 Million Brightness 250 cd/m2 Contrast Ratio DCR 1,000,0001 (1,0001...

HP GV546A4#ABA DreamColor LP2480zx 24 Professional LCD Display

HP GV546A4#ABA DreamColor LP2480zx 24 Professional LCD Display

24 viewable image area 178 (H/V) viewing angle 40(min)/250(max) nits brightness 1000:1 contrast ratio 12ms/6ms response rate 0.270mm pixel pitch ...
MacMall

DoubleSight - Smart 7 USB Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - Black

DoubleSight - Smart 7 USB Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - Black

This monitor features 375 cd/m brightness and an 800 x 400 resolution for clear, detailed images. The USB interface provides an easy connection to you...
Best Buy

Gvision J7ph Touch Screen Monitor 17 Lcd Capacitive

Gvision J7ph Touch Screen Monitor 17 Lcd Capacitive

Item Description GVISION J7PH LCD 17 Touchscreen Monitor w/Speakers Retails Price is $760, Click here to see the price list on web You are buying one ...

HP DreamColor LP2480zx Black-Silver 24 6ms(GtoG) Widescreen

DVI 2 Video S-Video, Composite, Component USB 2.0 4 Stand Adjustments Height, Pivot, Swivel, Tilt Built-in TV Tuner No Built-in Speakers No HDCP Suppo...

$1996.23