HP Deskjet 930C Standard Inkjet Printer

Hewlett Packard HP DeskJet 930C Printer ~ Reliable, Durable & Does a Great Job!

Feb 29, 2004 (Updated Feb 29, 2004)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:prints high quality, easy to use, durable, rarely jams

Cons:fee to talk to customer service after 90 days of purchase

The Bottom Line: The Hewlett Packard HP DeskJet 930C has been a great printer for me.

The little cheap printer that came with my computer had finally given out on me. It was time to do taxes and I had to have a printer to print off my tax copies. This was a couple of years ago. I went out not really knowing what I was going to buy and ended up coming home with the Hewlett Packard HP DeskJet 930C printer.

Inside the box was the printer, power cord, color print cartridge, black print cartridge, print software, users guide and Quick Start Poster.

Buttons & Lights:

The buttons and lights are located on the top right of the printer.

Cancel Button ~ has an X on top of it, use it to cancel something that is currently printing

Print Cartridge Status Light ~ it will light when you need to check your print cartridges

Resume Button & Light ~ the light will flash when you need to put in paper or if you have a paper jam, use the button when you want to re-start the printing

Power Button & Light ~ turn the printer on and off, when the light above the button is flashing the printer is in process of printing

Note: You should turn the printer on and off by the Power Button. If you use a surge protector or wall switch you may damage the printer.

Paper Trays:

IN Tray: Load your paper into this tray. It has a paper width guide. The tray can be pulled out to add the paper. It is really simple to add paper.

OUT Tray: You can use this for printing single envelopes and smaller items. You can also use when printing banners.

Specifications: information taken from owner’s manual

Speed:

2,000 pages per month

Memory:

4 MB built-in RAM

I/O Interface:

Centroncis Parallel, IEEE 128-4 Compliant with 1284-B receptacle, Universal Serial Bus

Weight:

12.6 pounds without print cartridges

Dimensions:

17.34 inches wide x 7.72 inches high x 15.76 inches deep (tray down with paper) or 9.85 inches deep with tray up

Power Consumption:

2 watts maximum when off ~ 4 watts average when non-printing ~ 25 watts average when printing

Power Requirements:

Ink Cartridges:

Black HP 51645 Series
Tri-Color HP C6578 Series

Customer Service:

HP Customer Care Online ~ answer your questions about HP products, helpful printing tips, latest product and software updates, 24 hours day/7 days a week, no charge, email support can be found from this link

Automated Support Line: 1-877-283-4684

Talk to a Live Person:

Note: Telephone support is free for the first 90 days you have your printer. Long distance charges may apply.

(208) 344-4131

After the 90-day period they charge per minute. At the time I bought my printer it was $2.50 per minute, but that subject to change. If you think the call will be more than 10 minutes you can charge $25 per call to your MasterCard or Visa.

My Thoughts:

I’ve had this printer for a couple of years and have been very satisfied with my purchase. Compared to my old piece of junk printer this one is a dream come true. I am not a mechanical person at all so I need something that is going to be super easy to operate. My husband hooked it up for me. He didn’t have any problems getting it hooked up. He plugged the cords into the computer, plugged it up and that was it!

The software was very easy to load. You just put the CD in the CD-ROM and it guides you step by step from there. In a matter of minutes the software was loaded on my computer. The ink cartridges are super easy to put in. Even a mechanical dummy like myself can do that with no problems. You just slip the old one out and the new ones goes right into its place. I used to have paper jams all the time. I rarely have them with this printer. I have found that if I try to load the tray with too much paper it will jam. I keep the paper in the tray relatively low and I have found that it works out much better.

You won’t believe how quiet this printer is. My old printer was loud. This one prints so quietly and smooth. The papers just glide through. I have printed some photos on photo paper before. They come out looking wonderful. I was really impressed with the quality that I got. I don’t print many photos though, but when I do they are awesome.

If needed, you can calibrate the printer, which will give you the best possible print. It is automatically done for you when you replace the ink, but if it is misaligned you can do this and it will take care of it. It takes about two minutes and will use one sheet of paper. If your printing comes out streaked the print cartridges may need cleaned. This will also take about two minutes and use one sheet of paper.

This printer has some nice features when using. You can print in Portrait, which will be a vertical print out. You can pick Landscape to print horizontally. You can select Mirror Image to reverse the print image. When printing a two-sided document you can select the Book method if it will bound on the side or Tablet if it will be bound at the top. You can also print in shades of gray. Change the brightness when needed too. You can even add extra drying time if you would like.

You can also check how much ink you have left in your ink cartridges. It will tell you when the ink is low and when you should have more ink ready to replace your cartridges. You can set the printer to automatically print two-sided documents.

You can set the type of print that you would like your printer to print in. You can set it to draft to save time and ink. You can use normal for most types of everyday printing. You can use best to give you the highest print quality. This printer has many nice options and features.

I use my printer only for personal reasons. I print out all of the poems I write to go in a folder. I use the printer also when my son needs things for school. He has needed pictures, such as animals, for projects. He also types some of his schoolwork on the computer and we print that. I don’t use my printer a whole lot. I have found that the ink cartridges normally last me at least six months. When you go to replace them they are about $50 for a package of both color and black.

When we had a graduation party for my stepdaughter we printed out the invitations on my printer. They looked wonderful and everyone was so impressed.

In a Nutshell:

I am very happy with my printer. It was easy to hook up, easy to load software, easy to change ink cartridges, easy to add paper and no problems printing. I rarely have jams and the print quality is great. It is very quiet. I really love the features. Everything about it is easy to use. I have had mine for over two years and it has been very durable. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a great personal, home printer.