Earthlink

Aug 4, 2008
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Connection Reliability:
  • Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:none

Cons:Technical Support is fraudulent and useless. No one at Earthlink cares a hoot.

The Bottom Line: Don't use EarthLink for anything, specially don't attempt to start Earthlink DSL service. Earthlink Technical Support is fraudulent and useless.

I wanted to subscribe to EarthLink DSL. I call up to subscribe on July 9 2008. They said my service contract would start on 7/18/08 but the DSL modem package did not arrive until the following week. Upon trying to install the modem and software I could not get a DSL light so I made my first call to EarthLink (866-794-4371) for help. I got Bombay India, a very condescending tech who asked for my name, rank, email address assigned, fathers name, etc. After one hour on the phone with him during which he kept repeating the same questions it became clear he could not help me. Finally he asked me to disconnect my phone to see if then the DSL light might come on - I guess he thought we could still speak when the phone was disconnected? So I called again and transferred to another, "higher level", tech also in India. After another hour on the phone with insistence from him that I must not have stuff connected properly and that was why I got no DSL light on the modem, he finally agreed to schedule a tech to come to my house to check it out and gave me a "ticket number". He said someone would called within 24 hours to reschedule. 2 days pass no one calls back. So I call again, and again giving rank and serial number, they ask what days would be good for me for a local tech to come to the house. A tech from a local company named COVAD apparently came to my house on the day I told them I would not be there. When I came home a couple of days later, I found out that my land line phone no long had a signal - no phone service - the tech had left a note to call EarthLink to reschedule a local tech - no local phone number was supplied.

I called EarthLink again to reschedule and got person in India who said, again after giving name rank and serial number (ticket number was useless), that they could not reschedule and would not reschedule a service person. I asked "why not?" she said she could not answer that. She transferred my to a "specialist". The transfer to the Philippines person, who actually spoke clear English, started with "is your internet connection working?" I said "no". She was apologetic and said she'd transfer me to a real specialist and "you won't have to repeat your ID or problem"...click.. "hello may I have your email address, ticket number, father's name,.. what seems to be the problem?" -By now I'm a little upset and decided I needed a break.
I called back that afternoon to the only number I've been given so far, waited in line again and after 2 hours and 2 "specialists" I decided to throw in the towel - they had me- I was defeated. So I tried to get a person who would cancel my Request for DSL service - that was difficult and took about 30+ minutes with threats by them as the cancellation charge of $145 and threats me to bring suit before they gave me a cancellation number and said could not give me an address by phone to return the modem but would send an address in the mail. - seems strange- but Hey?

After that I lost faith in EarthLink who had been my email service provider for 8 years. I called another hopefully more reputable company (Qwest) to order similar service and was told by them that EarthLink was currently blocking the phone line so they could not even complete my order at this time.

In the mean time my current ISP service will end tonight 7/31/08 due to recent FCC action to reallocate broadband spectrum, a service I was trying to gap with EarthLink DSL.

I still have hopes that someday I'll get web access again and no bills from EarthLink for services never rendered.

I do not recommend EarthLink as a company with which to even start to do business with. I'm very disappointed. (:(

Version Number or Year: July 31 2008

Earthlink: Impact eBook

Earthlink: Impact eBook

Buy Earthlink: Impact by Sarah Barnard and Read this Book on Kobo's Free Apps. Discover Kobo's Vast Collection of Ebooks Today - Over 3 Million Title...
Kobo eBooks

Storm System Finish. Category 3 1-gal. Earthlink Exterior Semi-Solid Dual Dispersion Wood Finish 345C110-1

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. The Storm System 1-gal. Earthlink Exterior Semi-Solid Dual Dispersion Wood Finish decorates and protects wood from w...
Home Depot

Storm System Finish. Category 3 5-gal. Earthlink Exterior Semi-Solid Dual Dispersion Wood Finish 345C110-5

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. The Storm System 5-gal. Earthlink Exterior Semi-Solid Dual Dispersion Wood Finish decorates and protects wood from w...
Home Depot