Coby CVH47 Headband Headphones - Black Reviews

Coby CVH47 Headband Headphones - Black

Coby Open Air Stereo Headphones CV-H47 Really Made A Difference!

Jun 14, 2001 (Updated Sep 30, 2002)

Pros:well made in spite of being inexpensive

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: I consider these above average headphones having had 2 other similar ones that clearly were not the quality the Coby's are. I do recommend them.

Update: As of September 30, 2002, these headphones are still going strong. They are as good as new. They have not broken in spite of being knocked around in my gym bag and I still recommend them.

I never knew there could be such a difference in headphones until I bought the Coby CV-H47 and they were only $5.00! These are plug-in headphones, not ones with a radio in them or ones that do anything fancy.

I have had two others headphones similar to these in the course of the last year. One came with my portable CD player and they have broken. My husband taped them and uses them. I then tried headphones that came with a radio from Cyberrebate.com. The gym we go to has a gadget on each cardiovascular machine and you can plug your headphones into it and listen to television.

I used the no-name ones from Cyberrebate for a couple of weeks but noticed I couldn’t really hear the television. It was a combination of the quality of the headphones and the fact that they are too light. You don’t want a pair of heavy headphones, but you do want a pair that will stay on your head and that are tight enough to fit snugly over your ears. If they don’t you won’t be able to hear what is playing.

I finally broke down and bought the Coby CV-H47 “slimline design stereo headphones” at my gym and they work wonderfully. I can now hear the television perfectly. They fit comfortably on my head but are still very lightweight.

The earpiece itself measures 2 inches across versus my no name, which are 1- inches. That inch makes a big difference in terms of feeling more comfortable on my ears and feeling as if they are not slipping off.

They are, of course, adjustable size-wise. I have a small head and always have to make them the smallest they can be and these headphones work for me. At the smallest they are in the exact right position for me to hear well.

Another positive aspect of the Coby headphones are the cushions themselves. Although they slip over the earpiece and can come off, these cover the earpiece enough so that I can tell that I’m not going to be losing the cushion for awhile!

There are some features and specifications of these headphones that I am not going to pretend to understand but you may and if you do you may want this information. This comes from the package.

Features:

•Frequency range ------20-20KHz
•Sensitivity ---- 100dB/1mW
•Max Input Power ---- 400mW
•Rated Input Power ---- 140mW

In addition the cord is 44-inches long and the headphones weigh 180g.

We are warned to not listen with the headphones at so loud a volume that extended play might affect hearing and not to listen with them when your hearing must not be impaired, for example while driving or cycling.

There is a one-year limited warranty. I know there are much more expensive headphones made by Coby. (Given the list of them, I think these are probably the least expensive.) It makes no sense to utilize the warranty which covers you if the product is defective in material or workmanship. The catch is that you have to send in $6.00 so even I can figure out that I could buy another pair for less than that. I am not sure why they even bother- perhaps they are sold for more money in other areas. I am sure the company wants us to know there is a warranty but for $6.00 I’ll pass on that one.

In summary, these headphones are probably not for listening to your $300 CD player or other high-tech equipment. These are inexpensive and functional for the purpose of either listening to my $39.99 CD player or television at the gym.. If that is what you are looking for, I would definitely recommend these and will give them 4 stars again keeping in mind that these are the bottom of the line Coby headphones.

Note: I gave these headphones 4 stars under sound because, in my opinion I am an average user. 3 stars says average, suitable for fm radio. High-tech people may, in fact, think they deserve 3 stars in this area so I wanted to clarify my rating. Also under durability, please remember that these are inexpensive headphones. I am not going to give them a 2 which says, "poor may get beat up, will last a year" because I don't feel that way. They are not heavy headphones, though and if you step on them, there is a good chance they will break. I won't rate $5.00 headphones down for what is the nature of the beast.

Coby CVH-47 Lightweight Stereo Headphones Color: Black Quantity: 1 PCS