Dell OptiPlex 790 (250 GB, Intel Core i3 2nd Gen., 3.3 GHz, 2 GB) Desktop - 4691614 Reviews

The Little (Powerful) Machine That Can

Mar 6, 2013 (Updated Mar 6, 2013)

• Quality of Tech Support:

Pros:Small footprint; powerful processor; (7) USB ports

Cons:None Come to Mind

The Bottom Line:

In the market for a new desktop PC and your computing needs do not stray to the exotic, the Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF should be given serious consideration.

Ah, the technology refresh.  Every three or four years or so, my household PC’s go through one of these.  In my wife’s case we replaced and older Dell laptop with something smaller and more powerful, the Dell OptiPlex 790 Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) Computer.  My spouses computing need are simple: browsing the Internet, word processing, simple gaming, and some (non-processor or memory intense) applications, so her new computer could be small, yet powerful enough to run Windows 7 and eventually Windows 8 64-Bit. The Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF fit the bill nicely.

The 411

The Dell OptiPlex 790 ships in many different configurations; for my wife I bought a unit that shipped with a Intel Core i3 2120 Dual Core processor @ 3.30Ghz and 4GB of  DDR3, 1333Mhz RAM in (2) DIMM slots.  The unit also shipped with a 2.5” SATA 3.0 500GB hard drive, which is more than enough space for my wife’s needs now and well into the future. A slim-line DVD+/-RW SATA drive @1.5Gbits/s rounds out the performance complement of this compact machine.

A total of (7) USB ports are included on the Dell OptiPlex 790; 2 on the front of the unit and (5) on the back side.  And speaking of the back side, there are no expansion slots, but there are standard VGA and Serial port(s) as well as (1) Display Port Connector, Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000 RJ-45 port, audio out, microphone out, and in some cases an optional Wi-Fi Antenna.

Internally the Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF does have a miniPCIe (Express) connector that might be used to house the aforementioned Dell Wireless 1520 half miniPCIe WLAN card.

First Impressions

It is hard not to be impressed with the performance of the lithe machine.  Dell designed a lot of power into small form-factor machine that can be place virtually anywhere. In my wife’s case I was able to tuck the Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF away in a corner of her desk freeing up considerable space.  Thanks in large part to the 2.5” hard drive, the PC generates very little heat, and no noise what so ever. If not for the front panel LED and power LED, you would be hard pressed to tell whether it was on or off.

Windows 7 installed on the unit without incident and all of the hardware pieces were recognized.  This is not something I can say about past Dell OptiPlex’s I have worked with; in most cases the drives for the onboard NIC (more often than not a Broadcom) would need to be downloaded after the install process completed, but not so with the 790, not doubt thanks to the Intel NIC.

After using the PC for a week or so my wife did run into an issue: the PC would reboot itself for no discernible reason.  I traced the problem to a software program called Adware, which was affecting the BIOS and causing the PC to restart.  Once I updated the BIOS the problem disappeared.

Overall, I (and my wife) am very pleased with the Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF desktop computer.  The unit is small, powerful, and because of the (7) USB ports flexible enough to be used well into the future.  I like it so much I laid hands on a used unit to install Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard on and use as a domain controller in my home network. If you are in the market for a new desktop PC and your computing needs do not stray to the exotic, the Dell OptiPlex 790 USFF should be given serious consideration.

Operating System: Windows
Processor: Other
Processor speed: over 1000
RAM: More than 256
Internal Storage: DVD
Hard Drive (GB): Under 4

REFURBISHED Dell Optiplex 755 C2D 2.3Ghz 2GB 80GB DVD Win 7 Pro Desktop Computer + 17LCD

Dell Optiplex 755 Intel Core 2 Duo 2300MHz REFURBISHED Desktop + 17 Dell LCD
DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i7 Standard Memory 8 GB Memory

DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i7 Standard Memory 8 GB Memory

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 8570 1GB GDDR3 Type Business Desktops & Workstations Form Factor Slim/Small form factor Usage Business Processor Intel Core i7-...
Newegg.com

DELL - Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC - Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz, 4GB Memory, New Desktop

Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC The Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC allows you to power through challenging jobs with Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz processor...
TigerDirect.com

Dell OptiPlex Desktop Computer - Intel Core i3 i3-3220 3.30 GHz - Desktop - 469-3199

OptiPlex Desktop Computer - Intel Core i3 i3-3220 3.30 GHz - Desktop 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - Intel HD 2500 Graphics - Genuine Windows 7 P...
pcRUSH.com

Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop Computer - Intel Core I5 I5-3470s 2.90 Ghz - 469-3916

Product Description Dell OptiPlex 7010 Desktop Computer - Intel Core i5 i5-3470S 2.90 GHz - Ultra Small - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - Intel H...

DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i5 Standard Memory 8 GB Memory

DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i5 Standard Memory 8 GB Memory

Type Business Desktops & Workstations Form Factor Mini Tower Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet Chipset Chipset Manufacturer Intel Chipset Model H81 Maximum Me...
Newegg.com

Dell OptiPlex 7010 DT Desktop Computer - Intel Core i3-3240 Processor (Dual Core, 3.40GHz, 3MB, w/ HD2500 Graphics)

Dell Optiplex 7010 Dt Desktop Computer- Intel Core i3-3240 Processor (Dual Core, 3.40GHz, 3MB, w/ HD2500 Graphics). Memory: 4GB, NON-ECC, 1600MHZ DDR3...
Dell Small Office

Dell OptiPlex 7010 Desktop Computer - Intel Core i5 i5-3470 3.20 GHz - Small Form Factor

Inspired DesignThe OptiPlex 7010 is designed to seamlessly integrate into the office environment. Choose from four different chassis that are all opti...
Office Depot

DELL - Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC - Intel Core i3-4130 3.40GHz, 4GB Memory, New Desktop

Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC The Dell OptiPlex 3020 Desktop PC allows you to power through challenging jobs with Intel Core i3-4130 3.40GHz processor...
TigerDirect.com

DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i5 Standard Memory 4 GB Memory

DELL OptiPlex Desktop PC Intel Core i5 Standard Memory 4 GB Memory

Type Business Desktops & Workstations Form Factor Ultra Small Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet Chipset Chipset Manufacturer Intel Chipset Model Q77 Express G...