Best Data Smart One (56USBP) 56 Kbps Modem Reviews

Best Data Smart One (56USBP) 56 Kbps Modem

Free Shipping Walmart.com

Bad BBB rating - could not install on Win98

May 31, 2004

Pros:None.

Cons:Costly, cannot install, disreputable company, complete waste of a lot of time.

The Bottom Line: Non-existent tech support and software just would not install. Company has a horrible reputation.

The Better Business Bureau of the Southland (in Southern California) states about Best Data Products, "We rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record based on a pattern of complaints alleging failure to honor rebates and other advertised incentives." I am in the process of submitting a complaint to the BBB that their product does not work with the operating system their packaging states, and that they failed to respond to my numerous attempts to contact their tech support to get this product to work.

I could not get Windows 98SE to recognize their driver. I searched over two hours on the Internet, and never found any solutions posted to the numerous others' pleas who had this same problem. I am not a novice, and believe their driver to have some flaw.

The back of their installation guide has two options for support. Option 1 is TechXpress and costs $7.00 per incident and is available 24/7. Option 2 is Best Data Free Support which is available Mon-Fri 8am-4:30 PST. I contacted their free support during my lunch hour the following week and hung up after being on hold for over 45 minutes.

I visited their web site, and their Support page displayed an e-mail address for technical support. I sent an e-mail to them 4/30/04, and another e-mail 5/05/04. The only response I received was on 5/21/04 saying their e-mail address and server changed, and that I should re-submit my request on this new form on their website. I did so about 7 business days ago and, even though their website states, "Most support requests will be fulfilled between 3-5 business days." still have not received a reply.

I am returning this to Fry's with a copy of the negative BBB report, negative user opinions on this and other websites, and am going to try to have them remove products from this manufacturer from their shelves.

BEST DATA 56K USB DATA FAX MODEM. NEW IN WRAPPED PACKAGE.USB ON-BOARD CONTROLLER MODEM FOR PC AND/OR MAC.TAKES THE WORK LOAD OFF YOUR CPU.INTERNET CAL...

Providing Excellent Service Since 1989 BEST DATA 56k v.92 lite USB external modem controller based (56USBP)(New-Retail) Description: Introducing the S...
Template By Froo!BEST DATA 56k v.92 lite USB external modem controller based BEST DATA 56k v.92 lite USB external modem controller based (56USBP)(New-...
Product Name: Smart One 56USBP Data/Fax Modem Marketing Information: Universal Serial Bus (USB) delivers the fastest and most convenient hook-up for b...