Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch, Royal Blue Reviews

Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask - Darkness Equals Quality Sleep

May 12, 2012 (Updated May 12, 2012)

Pros:Lightweight, comfortable, totally blocks light

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: The Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch-Royal Blue is comfortable and blocks the light that might interfere with getting a good night's sleep.

The Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch-Royal Blue is a perfect solution if you must sleep in a bedroom that isn’t dark enough, while your partner is reading or on a long plane or train trip.

I subscribe to “Prevention Magazine” and do a lot of research on health matters.  Since I have so much trouble sleeping, I’m always reading any article I can find on ways to improve sleep and that discuss the benefits of getting a good night’s rest and the hazards of not getting enough sleep.

While doing things like shutting off your computer and TV at least an hour before bedtime, cutting off the caffeine early in the evening and keeping the bedroom cool and quiet will help you get a good night’s sleep, it’s also important to sleep in as dark an environment as possible.

Why We Need Darkness to Get Quality Sleep

Light exposure reduces the level of melatonin in the brain.  Melatonin is the hormone that makes you sleepy and is thought to protect the body against cancer. Light can be detected through your eyelids even if you’ve fallen asleep; and the brain won’t produce melatonin because it’s confused between night and day.

Glowing digital clocks, night lights, street lights and moonlight shining in the window can interrupt sleep.  A sleep mask will cut out all those distractions.

Why is getting a good night’s sleep so important?

Benefits of Getting a Good Night’s Sleep

Dreams and deep sleep (REM) allow the brain to process the information gathered during the day which will help you remember and use that information in the future.

Sleep helps your body do damage control brought on by stress and UV rays.  Cells produce more protein during sleep and allow the body to make needed repairs.

Quality sleep boosts creativity and increase athletic performance.

Sleep enhances the attention span and aids in learning.  A lack of sleep can lead to ADHD-like symptoms in children.  If your child is having problems paying attention and learning in school, perhaps the first place you should check is:  Is my child getting enough sleep?

Possible Problems Associated with Sleep Deprivation

As If we don’t have enough problems losing weight, not getting enough sleep can lead to obesity.  Lack of sleep can also lead to increased blood pressure, increased risk of diabetes, sensitivity to cold, decreased cognitive function, higher cholesterol levels, depression, increased risk of fibromyalgia.

Lack of sleep can also lead to impaired judgment, errors and accidents.

People who get less than six hours of sleep a night have higher blood levels of inflammatory proteins which could lead to premature aging, heart disease, stroke, arthritis and diabetes.

The Dream Essentials Sleep Mask

My husband and I both sleep in recliners.  I’m in the living room; and he’s in the family room.  We both have trouble sleeping and sleep whenever we can.  This means that it might be during the day.  There are also lights on around the house at various times during the night, depending on who’s doing what.

Knowing that light causes a decrease in sleep quality, I started to do research on sleep masks.  I read dozens of user reviews and looked at the various types of sleep masks available online.  The Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch-Royal Blue seemed like a really good choice; so I purchased one for myself.

The mask measures 9.4” x 2.8” x 0.2” and is made of closed cell foam and nylon.  The mask is washable and can be hand washed in cool water and laid flat to dry.  It comes with a 4” x 6” satin drawstring storage pouch and a set of earplugs.  The mask comes in black or royal blue.

What I really like about this mask is the contour shape.  Unlike flat sleep masks which lie on your face and eyelashes and impair eye movement, the contour shape has concave eye “pockets” so that the mask is kept away from your eyes.  Blinking, REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep  and circulation are not impaired.  The front of the mask extends down your nose to block any light entrance.  The mask has a set of comfortable straps which are secured with Velcro behind your head.

My Opinion

Quite honestly, I was surprised at the comfort of the Dream Essentials Mask.  I figured having that thing on my face would make me crazy; but I found it to be quite light and comfortable.  The fabric breathes so that your face doesn’t get hot and sweaty; and you don’t feel the mask on your eyes at all.  The straps on the back of my head did not cause me any discomfort.

I only bought one mask in case I didn’t like it.  After I tried it out, my husband took his turn with it; and he, too, was quite surprised at the comfortl.  I ordered an additional mask for him after his “trial run”. One thing we both found out is that this mask cuts out an amazing amount of light.  When we took off the mask for the first time, the light was absolutely blinding!

I have no problem recommending this mask.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my review.  I hope the information that I have provided will be of use to you.

Sweet dreams!

Family Sport

Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask with Earplugs and Carry Pouch, Royal Blue Features Breather's extremely well, this sleep mask is sl...